[Xmca-l] Re: Trump's speech and Perezhivanie

Susan Davis s.davis@cqu.edu.au
Tue Jan 24 02:39:58 PST 2017

Hi folks,

I am quite interested in the idea of collecting accounts of
experiences from younger people and those with different views from our
own. It
made me think of a conversation I had with my son over the weekend, and his
response to my sense of frustration.  While Martin
suggests not only talking to family and friends, in terms of ethics and
immediacy they may be easier to approach to begin with ­ especially if they
don¹t hold views similar to our own.  I
therefore include below some of what I recall of our conversation and some
reflections upon it.  I also note with interest his use of the terms
Œironic¹ and Œunironically¹ in terms of his perception of some of the
people he knows who are Trump Œfollowers¹.

J¹s view ­ young adult male (Australian), a Œgamer¹, in his final year of
school ­ interacts online with a global networks of other gamers,
predominantly male

³Your generation of social justice warriors don¹t get it. A
lot of young people are sick of all the concern over the so-called
Œdisadvantaged¹ people and sick of the political correctness. They think
anyone
could be disadvantaged depending on how you twist it, there can never be
equality for all.

While as an individual I find him detestable I know people
who follow him unironically as well as ironically.²

Q: What do you mean follow him ironically?

³They are people who just follow him because they want to
see what happens, they think it¹s funny.²

Q: So are you saying they are just after the spectacle?

³It¹s like following the WWE (wrestling) people love it,
they love the characters, but it¹s not serious. Some people follow him in
that
kind of way. He¹s a larger than life character. He creates chaos around
him and
they like to watch that.²

Q: And what about the people you say are following him
unironically, what do you mean?

³They¹re people who like the fact he is unapologetic and
totally non-PC, so he¹s saying the things a lot of people think but could
never
get away with saying.  His political and
economic ideas might be rubbish, but they like the fact he¹s saying Œup
yours¹
to the system.  Even though in the end he
has to work through that system to get anything done.²

Some of my reflections Š.
This identification of the significance of a form of
Engagement (and perhaps lived Œemotional experience) that may appear to be
flippant or shallow even, brought to mind
Bakhtin¹s discussion of carnival ­ something I drew upon in my Masters
work when
attempting to understand some of the interactions involving young people on
theInternet.

In searching for some means of trying to understand this fascination with
the
humorous, the grotesque and the profane being circulated on the Internet
Bakhtin¹s work on ³folk humour and carnival
laughter² seems to offer some parallels and insights.  Bakhtin¹s study
explored the work of French
writer Francois Rabelais (c.1494-1553) and the role of folk humour during
the
Middle Ages and the Renaissance.  What
Bakhtin identified was that while historically the Œauthoritarian word¹ of
the
official realm (involving the church and recorded politics of the day) is
generally that which is studied and explored, that there was a
complementary
and unofficial realm that existed alongside the official realm and that
this
culture, rooted in folk humour, laughter and carnival has been largely
ignored
and rarely studied:

³A
boundless world of humour forms and manifestations opposed the official and
serious tone of medieval ecclesiastical and feudal culture.  In spite of
their variety, folk festivities
of the carnival type, the comic rites and cults, the clowns and fools,
giants,
dwarfs, and jugglers, the vast and manifold literature of parody ­ all
these
forms have one style in common:  they
belong to one culture of folk carnival humour². (Bakhtin in Morris, 1994:
196)

Perhaps it
is the case that the Internet and now the political sphere is the current
space
for the experience of carnival, in Bakhtin¹s discussion this was often
outside
the official realm, but now the distinctions seem to have disintegrated.
What
is of intriguing now is that through Trump many features of carnival have
been
drawn into what would historically be considered Œthe official realm¹. He
adopts the persona, the language, the acts more characteristic of
carnival,  introducing features of abuse,
the grotesque and profanities not generally associated with the
authoriatative
order. He is certainly creating a spectacle that many people find deeply
engaging (though not necessarily necessarily hopeful or profound) some
find the spectacle deeply
offensive but can¹t help watching, while other are quite enjoying the
disruption
and entertainment!

(Sorry if the formatting of this is bit strange - I typed it elsewhere
first)!

I look forward to others thoughts and accounts.

Sue.

On 24/01/2017 5:27 pm, "xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu on behalf of
Alfredo Jornet Gil" <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu on behalf of