[Xmca-l] Re: The Learning Sciences in the era of U.S. Nationalism

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 16:01:43 PST 2017

I think that the debate over John Lewis's comments and his boycott of the
inauguration today shows how quasi-needs are formed in the body politic. Of
course, all political needs are quasi-needs: we do not require the vote the
way that we require food and drink. But they are also real needs: the right
to an equal share of the commodities you produce is a quasi-need, but
there's a real need there, for sure.

As understand it there are three arguments for boycotting the inauguration:

a) Tu quoques. The Republicans have seized control of government by
delegitimizing the previous president, by complete and unconditional
noncooperation, by taking hostages, and this is now the only way to seize
control of government back again.

b) False equivalence. The Republicans did not have the consensus of 17
intelligence agencies to show that Barack Obama had forged his birth
certificate, and the Electoral College is an explicitly undemocratic
anachronism. So what was an illegitimate tactic in Republican hands is now
justified. This is Lewis's argument, but it ignores the fact that Russians
really did less to win the election for Trump than Australians did (Rupert
Murdoch).

c) The "peaceful transition of power" is simply not the way in which new
quasi-needs come into being.

When Obama says that people do not need to "die" for voting rights because
our forefathers did so in our stead, he is both acknowledging that votes
are a consequence and not a cause and suggesting that now they are a cause
and not a consequence: there is one history for our forefathers and a very
different one for ourselves. That isn't the way history works. Yes, the bow
of history bends towards justice; no, the "peaceful transition of power" is
not what bends it.

Back during the election, a propos a dispute over peer review, Roth
suggested that I was arguing at the level of a) or b). I think c) is much
closer to the way I really feel, particularly today.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University