[Xmca-l] Re: The Learning Sciences in the era of U.S. Nationalism

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 18 19:51:50 PST 2017

Yes Michael,

It feels like the world of the later 1930's about the time I was born as
that period came down to me through the prism of a family of "premature
anti fascists."

For a great re-creation of those times see the highly ambivalent film by
Frank Capra, "meet John Doe." It has American big capital interconnected
with fascism combined with populist collectivism in a manner that points at
the media (as then experienced) as the bad guys in disguise. Happy Ending,
Beethoven Ode to Joy and all.

It's come round again, nastier this time.

Mike