[Xmca-l] Re: perezhivanie

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Jan 9 18:37:34 PST 2017

I heartily concur with your efforts to gain precision, Marc.
Leaving aside the generation of new terms willy nilly for no
scientific purpose, the problem we face (especially in
appropriating scientific work in the Marxist tradition) is
this: the object is itself is not fixed. Analytical
approaches want strictly circumscribed objects,
differentiated from one another by definable attributes, but
continuing analysis (e.g. over the history of a science)
lead to more and more distinctions, leading to the
disintegration of the original concept or insight. For
example, the psychology of a child is not like the
psychology of an adult, and yet the child is a person, just
as is an adult, and the psychology of a child has to be
understood *not in itself* but in its fitness to turn,
eventually, into the psychology of an adult.

Irina Mescheryakov's dictionary definition (circulated by
Alfredo last week) said:

    "According to the theory of Vygotsky, /perezhivanie/ can
    be approached like any other mental function which in
    ontogenesis is developed from involuntary and direct
    forms to the highest forms, which have status of action
    or activity. This approach offers possibilities for
    distinguishing the different genetic forms
    /perezhivanie/, and also for the search for the
    cultural-historical means of mastery of /perezhivanie./"

So my point is: generating multiple different terms for
/perezhivanie/ in this or that circumstance places an
obligation on the writer to show how one transforms into the
other. Such a transformation process is not *yet another
form* of /perezhivanie/ but the content of the processes
undergoing transformation.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy