[Xmca-l] Re: Happy New Year and Perezhivanie!

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Jan 7 15:07:23 PST 2017

David: "Are words really units?"

Well, firstly, "units" is a *relative* term. That is, the
question is: are words units of something, some complex
process subject to analysis. And which?

Secondly, according to Vygotsky, "no." The concept Vygotsky
proposes as a unit is "word meaning" which he says is a
unity of sound and meaning. The sound is an artefact, which,
detached from its meaningful utterance in a transactional
context is just a thing, viz., a word. Whereas "word
meaning" is an arrtefact-mediated action, a unit of human
social activity.

It is true that words can be countable or mass according to
context, but I wasn't talking about words was I? I was
talking about word meaning.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy