[Xmca-l] Re: identity expressed or formed by action?

Stephen Walsh stephenwals@gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 02:58:19 PST 2017

ANDY: That sounds good, Stephen, but I don't see any "drive to express
identity" in there. I do think there is a drive to form and preserve social
bonds, but this is not the *expression* of affiliative identity; perhaps
the source of "affiliative identity," and the objective basis for an
imposed identity (as opposed to a self-identity), but not something created
by a desire or drive to express a pre-existing identity.

Yes?

STEPHEN: I may have to get a coffee and put my thinking cap on a little
tighter   :)
Is the impulse (or drive) that was evidenced in the minimal group
experiments to favour our ingroup the same impulse that drives us to give
and accept social support?  I think it may be.