[Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 15:00:45 PST 2017

We're just finishing up our ninth volume of Vygotsky's works in Korean (the
fourth of his lessons in pedology). It's a volume that contains a
"bridging" chapter on the Crisis at Thirteen written in 1933 and then a set
of correspondence course lessons written in 1929, so although it follows
the order of child development, it doesn't follow the order in which it was
written at all. The jump cut is not quite as large as the one that
Wolff-Michael is suggesting (his quote about the consciousness being the
perezhivanie of perezhivanie harkens back to the first paper Vygotsky ever
did, when he was not yet thirty and trying to break free of behaviorism
without writing himself out of academia altogether--his quote about the
water molecule is even more elemental: it goes back at least as far as John
Stuart Mill and this is one reason why it has been translated iinto English
as its exact opposite and yet nobody ever objects...). Nevertheless, there
is a notable difference between the 1929 work and the 1933 work: the
"neoformations", the "social situation of development", and the "lines of
development", which are central to the 1933 Vygotsky, are entirely absent
from the 1929 work.

But I don't think the chapters are by two entirely different Vygotskies
(and in fact I think that even Wolff-Michael's quote is by the same
Vygotsky, but it dates from before Vygotsky decided that consciousness
begins at birth). I think that the 1929 work lays the ground for the 1933
work in two important ways.

First, Vygotsky is trying to create a "science of a natural whole" along
the lines of history, and his first step in doing this is to distinguish
pedology (where he will later develop the concept of neoformation, social
situation of development and lines of development) from embryology on the
one hand and psychotechnics (adult development) on the other. The embryo
grows but doesn't learn; the adult learns but doesn't grow. The object of
pedology is a complex unity of growing and learning (biological and
cultural history) that Vygotsky calls development.

Second, Vygotsky is trying to avoid a "vinaigrette". This is the
deprecatory term used by Blonsky to mean a kind of emulsion of two
essentially incompatible substances, viz. a biology of the child and a
cultural history of the child, the kind of thing that Groos, Buhler, and
Nazi psychologists (Kretschmer, Spranger, Kroh, Ach, and eventually Jung)
were putting together. What Vygotsky says is that you can shake your
biology and your cultural history together, but if you can't discover some
internal link between growth on the one hand and learning on the
other, they will just separate out again, like oil floating on vinegar.
When Sasha says that Vygotsky failed to create a Marxist psychology and
left that task (through Leontiev) to us, I see this as a kind of "inverted
world". It seems to me that the truth is more like the very opposite:
Vygotsky DID create a Marxist psychology, not within psychology but within
pedology. But WE have created a vinaigrette, and one sign of this is that
even on this revered list, we often find that discussions separate out into
the oil of philosophy and the vinegar of pedagogy.

Let me try to shake the two things together again, at least until we can
get some salad lovers back into the discussion.

First, take a look at the attached picture. It's a Bogdanov-Belsky (all our
book covers are), and it's called "inspiration". The young woman's an
adolescent, of course, and she's reading some kind of book with pictures
and conversations. But she's not concentrating very hard, and we can easily
imagine her mind straying to something even more concrete. The title of our
new book, which combines the neoformation for age 13 with a central new
psychological formation of adolescence, is 분별과 사랑 ("Bunbyeolgwa Sarang", or
"Dissociation and Love")

Second, let me tell you about a problem we have been having with the
vinegar of pedagogy and the oil of philosophy here in Korea. Anxious
parents and whimsical professors like to treat curricula as hand-me-downs.
We've had eight different national curriculum reforms since 1950 (far more
than any other ASEAN country) and the net effect has always been to teach
the NEXT zone of development--that is, to teach the adolescents to be
adults, the thirteenagers to be teenagers, the primary schoolers to be
thirteen, and the preschoolers to be primary schoolers. The net effect is
very bad; it is like making beansprouts grow by pulling them up by the
roots.  Our teachers resist: they want to have the children play and teach
the zone of actual development, and they make the argument on entirely
non-phlosophical, pedagogical grounds. But if the good professors ever
decided to read our books, they might easily try to justify it by--the zone
of proximal development! (Fortunately, they are far too busy studying
Thorndike and the Singaporean system to bother with us...).

David Kellogg

Recent Article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity* 24 (4) 'Metaphoric,
Metonymic, Eclectic, or Dialectic? A Commentary on “Neoformation: A
Dialectical Approach to Developmental Change”'

Free e-print available (for a short time only) at

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/YAWPBtmPM8knMCNg6sS6/full