[Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

David H Kirshner dkirsh@lsu.edu
Thu Dec 14 17:26:43 PST 2017

James,
I see social science research in the way you are describing it as assertion of a perspective. Data do not confirm the perspective, they are encompassed and normalized by it.
My question is in the relation of social science to philosophy.
Is it that philosophy is inherently more dialogic?
David

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of James Ma
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2017 4:45 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

David's point that consciousness is the meaning of meaning suits me well and I'd like to extend a bit, referring to social science research in general as well as neoformation in materialist dialectics.

I see consciousness as a nexus through which mental activity takes place, i.e. it is where mental content is enlivened (animated) or more to the point "semiotised" in that it is predominantly made up of signs (or "psychic images" as Jung would say) and their likeness. This brings into focus the relationship between signs and their likeness - such relationship manifests itself as the meaning of meaning that is ever intentional (wilful), interpretative (hence subjective) and situational (tied to given social, cultural and historical contexts).

Premised on this, in social science research, the researcher's self-function as instrument for research is arguably to be first and foremost recognised. The profundity of ethics is thus concerned with people and knowledge. Here, "people" refers to not only those you are studying but also those who are conducting the study; "knowledge" contains the notion that by doing research you make a claim to knowledge in terms of how you see what you see and why. The very purpose of social science research is thus not to offer a definitive answer to a big question but rather to induct other people into your way of thinking and knowing. In this sense, social science research is by nature subjective, self-evident and insusceptible of final conclusions - to which the *ad infinitum* of Peircean semiosis applies.

Regarding neoformation, the transformation of quantity into quality occurs when the meaning of meaning undergoes reconstitution or reconstruction within the individual, as in the case of Leandro in Roth's article.
Importantly, internal contradictions within an individual precipitate neoformation as a qualitative change, that is, instead of knowing, he is reconstituting or reconstructing the meaning of meaning instead of knowing it.

James

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>