[Xmca-l] Re: Neoformation and developmental change: Issue 4 article for discussion

Wolff-Michael Roth wolffmichael.roth@gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:57:00 PST 2017

Hi Andy,
I am looking at the real movement of the thinking-body (Il'enkov), using a
pen and making a circle, for example. No abstraction. This is precisely
what Maxine Sheets-Johnston develops, and the point that she critiques with
embodiers and and enactivists---they abstract in positing schemas, that are
somewhere lodged in the mind, whereas life is in movement, real movement,
not abstracted. Without movement, life does not exist.

Also, an important point. I am talking about *trans*action not
*inter*action---in
the senses of Dewey and Bateson. Transaction is the coming and going in the
same action that Mikhailov is writing about, and the afferent and efferent
aspects of an action in the work of Timo Järvilehto. Because of this, any
form of cognition cannot be located merely in the brain (see also Il'enkov
on the beginning of any thought at the outside of the thinker, and the
endpoint of the thought again on the outside of the thinker).

I don't know where this stuff from quantum physics comes in. I am a
physicist by training, having done my MSc in atomic physics, and so I don't
see the link to the argument here.

Michael

Wolff-Michael Roth, Lansdowne Professor

Applied Cognitive Science
MacLaurin Building A567
University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, V8P 5C2
http://web.uvic.ca/~mroth <http://education2.uvic.ca/faculty/mroth/>

New book: *The Mathematics of Mathematics
<https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/new-directions-in-mathematics-and-science-education/the-mathematics-of-mathematics/>*