[Xmca-l] Re: Experienced Thinkers and Perezhivanie

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Sun Dec 10 09:57:30 PST 2017

Coincidentally, I met a man from Belarus last Wed, Vera's day, but before I knew it would be.

He moved here with his wife and they will soon have a child.

Once I learned from where he hailed, I said, "Oh Vygotsky is from there!"

After seeing confusion on his face, I had to remind him who he was... the famous Russian psychologist?

The light went off and he said he had studied him 20 years ago.

I told him that I only knew a few Russian words one of them being "perezhivanie" and the others "znachenie slova." These are words Holbrook Mahn had taught me about. Two great gifts.

The man from Belarus seemed perplexed about my definition of perezhivanie when I'd said I understood Vygotsky used it in regards to instruction, that had to do with the emotional content of the environment for teaching and learning.

For him, it meant "frustration". Not as a resulting expression, but as a process, or perhaps another way to say it, as activity not an end. It was a new word meaning for him, and for me. So together we came to appreciate why Vygotsky used that word.

Additionally, I learned that in our circle on the listsev, it has been used as a technical term specific to instruction, but perhaps I am wrong. I did not have the space to read the recent thread on perezhivanie, so I may be speaking out of time with recent developed threads and my advanced apology if that is the case.

This now makes me think about controversy, such as what is happening concerning last year's election, but also in the US government these days, and tension between the media, the president and the people.

I have been watching TURN, which is a TV series drama about the American Revolution and the spycraft of that time. There was a lot of perezhivanie going on.

Perezhivanie seems a very democratic word.

So to answer the question, I find the relationship between an experienced thinker and perezhivanie is timing. A choosing words appropriately.

Vera was excellent at that.

Kind regards,

Annalisa