[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky,Marx, & summer reading

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Aug 19 17:59:01 PDT 2017

Greg, I apologise if I express irritation rather than joy in
responding to your questions. I must be fulfilling my
destiny to be a grumpy old man. But I think a good scholar
is often well advised to ignore what comes into their
peripheral vision and keep focused on their task ...
especially if they are struggling to complete their PhD.

But as to your questions. "Child development" I take to be
the passage through that series of culturally-specific
identities (or roles) through which a new born child makes
its way to becoming an adult citizen of the community in the
given cultural formation. Vygotsky deals with it in the
articles collected in v. 5 of his CW like "The Problem of
Age." Vygotsky's work on "Personality development" is known
to English speakers through the lecture "The problem of the
Environment" and is concerned with the unique way in which
an individual person deals with the world around them.
Actually, Chapter 5 of A N Leontyev's "Activity,
Consciousness and Personality" rather imperfectly continues
this work. It is self-evident that these two domains of
research overlap and the two units mentioned are likewise
closely interlocked. The concepts dealt with in "child
development" cease to be relevant as the person reaches
adulthood, whereas personality development (thank goodness)
goes on throughout life. There is no requirement that
different "germ cells" mark out mutually exclusive domains
of research.

As to your second message, on list, The "germ" in "germ
cell" seems to have entered discourse with the Activity
Theorists; I'm not sure whether it was Davydov or Engestrom,
maybe someone else can tell us. But it is "germ" as in
"germinate", simply emphasising the biological origins of
this concept, anticipated by Goethe prior to the "cell"
being discovered by the use of powerful microscopes in 1839
- that simple piece from which the whole organism can
re-grow itself. Marx used the expression: "economic
cell-form" for example.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy