[Xmca-l] Re: Отв: Re: Vygotsky and Feurebach by Peter Keiler

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@llaisdy.com
Sun Aug 6 10:19:02 PDT 2017

Dear Annalisa

Thank you for your comment.

I agree, the relationship between whole and parts, and between parts is
complicated --- for pluralists as well as for monists.  There's a very
good paper by Jonathan Schaffer (2010) called "Monism: the priority of
the whole" that goes into that ("mereology") in some detail.  PDF
available here:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/ff0f/4e110da053d4ca1a2bacff43b42bb14ebdd3.pdf

Best wishes

Ivan

On 06/08/2017 01:26, Annalisa Aguilar wrote:
> Dear all,

> I would ask, at the same time, how is it that we observe a contradiction in terms.
>

> That's why I wonder if it is right to say that it has to do with whole vs parts, and perhaps it has to do with relationship instead.
>

> Can we have society void any kind of relationship? How do we define parts without the concept of "whole," or better "unity"? Can we conceive of a part with an absence of a whole to which it belongs?
>

> (Here's a question: What is a "whole part"? is it the mirror of a "fundamental particle"?)
>

> Doesn't a part even if next to another part, have a requirement to be a part of *something*?
>

> Or is this just a game of semantics?
>

> I do agree that we Anglo-Americans whenever we are, have been hobbled occasionally by behaviorism. But what of Pavlov? How does he *relate* to Watson, et al.?
>

> I dream what it would be like to have a mind never tainted by Watson or by Descartes. But would we then have a Vygotsky or a Spinoza, if not for Watson or Descartes?
>

> I cannot say...except perhaps to pose the question, "What came before all of them?"
>

> Oh there goes that ellipse again. I let it slip by.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Annalisa

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD
Llaisdy