[Xmca-l] Re: Отв: Отв: Re: Ilyenkov, Marx, & Spinoza

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 14:04:08 PDT 2017

I can understand Ivan's consternation; nay, I can share it. When Halliday
says that the relationship between meaning and wording, and also the
relationship between context and text, is a natural one but the
relationship between sounding and wording is conventional, he is really
meaning three slightly different things. But fortunately language has
evolved to mean more than one thing at the same time; unlike a blackbird
whistling or a prelinguistic child, who tends to do these things one at a
time, we can "get attention", "give information", and "represent
experience" all at once: "Look at that blackbird!" Even more fortunately
written language has been designed to be able to tease apart and
differentiate these slightly different things.

First of all, Halliday means that the relationship between /b/ and /l/ and
/a/ and /k/ and the word "black" is really not defining, but the
relationship between "Look at that blackbird!" and getting attention,
giving information, and representing the experience really is. The word
"black" isn't defined and doesn't depend on the sounds we choose put into
it: we can delete the final sounds as in some forms of black English and we
can spell it with a redundant "c" and "k" and it doesn't change. But this
is not true if we change "Look at that blackbird!" into "That blackbird is
looking".  With intonation, the relationship actually is defining: if I say
"Look at that blackbird?" I mean something different from "Look at that
blackbird!", and "Just LOOK at that blackbird" is different from "Look at
that BLACKBIRD" (and even "BLACKbird" differs from "blackBIRD".

Second, Halliday means that the relationship between the vowels and
consonants that make up "black" and the word itself is one place--the only
place--where associative psychology will work. As Henry Higgins
demonstrated in "My Fair Lady", boot camp techniques can be used to train
pronunciation--but not creative grammar and certainly not interpersonal
meaning. Similarly, when you learn a foreign language late in life, as many
of us have done, your brain will mean a word, but your mouth muscles will
often interpret these words in their own familiar way, the way that they
have grown used to when you were still a child. When my wife says the word
"blackbird", there is an indeterminacy in that post-vocalic /r/, that
cannot quite make up its mind not to be an /l/, that still thrills me: it
reminds me of the first time I heard her say "milk".

But thirdly, and this is where my own consternation sets in, Halliday means
that the relationship between vowels and consonants on the one hand and
words on the other is relatively designable, while  the relationship
between meaning and wording, and the relationship between context and
meaning, is much more evolved. Humans really are part of nature, and their
communication systems have evolved in interaction with that environment,
including the parts of it that they have reconstructed around their
human-specific needs. But with any complex system,we find that different
parts of the system evolve at different speeds: brains appear to have
evolved a lot faster than vertebrae, for example. We have, historically,
huge and apparently reasonless sea changes in the phonology of our language
(the Great Vowel shift in pre-Shakespearean English, and the tendency
towards "vocal fry" in our own--you can hear the changes by listening to
old movies). In contrast, the basic grammatical systems of tense, mood,
etc. remain motivated and quite stable: there are good reasons, for
example, why we give tense to processes and not to entities and good
reasons why an object like an apple should be countable but not an
experience like being. There are good reasons why we have proper nouns that
identify individual people but not individual plants, and animals are
somewhere in between, and good reasons why there is no such thing as a
proper verb identifying a single, unrepeatable moment of being.
Paradoxically, language models perpetual change the same way it models
utter stasis.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University