[Xmca-l] Re: Contrasting 'use-value' & 'value'

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 16:23:11 PDT 2017

To recap. Mike asked why I chose the word "wording" when Vygotsky clearly
uses "word meaning". I could have said that it's a better translation,
because as Mike points out the word "znachenie slova" can be translated as
"the Word" in the sense of "In the beginning was the Word", that is,
metonymically. For that matter, "znachenie" can ALSO be translated as
"value", so you COULD argue that "signification" is really exchange value
(because it is self-similar, and relationally defined, context free) while
"sense" is use value (because it is constantly in flux, contextually
defined, and situationally bound).

But I think all that's misleading; it implies that all we need is better
translations for better understandings, and that really does give too much
emphasis to Vygotsky's signification and not enough to his sense.The main
reason I chose "wording" is that I have to analyse data, developmentally.
My latest study showed that Korean kids telling stories do change the words
they use as they go from first to sixth grade--but the variation within
groups is way more than the variation between groups, and it's not at all
in the direction of "scientific" words as you might expect; it's not
systematically away from pure Korean words and towards Sino-Korean calques.
What really does change is the wording--that is, the lexicogrammar.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09500782.2017.1306074

But what is NOT true of words really IS true of wording. Ways of wording
and ways of meaning are changing together; yea, a change in the way of
wording enables a change in the way of meaning, and that in turn allows new
possibilities for wording. I tried to use Vygotsky and Schif's example
sentence "A planned economy is possible in the USSR because all of the
factories, farms and means of production are owned by the workers and
peasants" to give an extended example of "grammatical metaphor": the way in
which wording might change as the child develops, becoming more compact
and less explicit. I thought this might show how this might fit with
Vygotsky's explanation of the "Great Globe" of concepts in Chapter Six of
Thinking and Speech.

Obviously, I was wrong. Instead, Wolff-Michael suggested that we should
read Ricoeur. At first I was a little annoyed with this, because Ricoeur is
choosing a vocabulary that is leading inexorably in the direction of speech
act theory and away from wording. A lot of the vocabulary he uses is by way
of producing a forced, manufactured clarity: first presenting an obvious
point in obscure language and then in very concrete form (e.g. "judicative"
and then "grasping together"). But as Mike points out, we all have our
favorite authors, and since I have read quite a bit of Ricoeur, I thought I
could probably make the same kind of point using Wolff-Michael's example
that I had so obviously failed to make with my own.

It's not just that the child's horizons expand to include different words.
It's that there are different ways of making meaning, which we can trace in
the different ways of wording. In this way we can solve the problem which
Ruqaiya attributed (apparently incorrectly) to Cole and Gay and then to
Cole and Scribner; that is, we CAN show that different ways of wording DO
realize and also enable different ways of thinking. And what better place
to start than at the very beginning, with the child's ability to
distinguish between the interpersonal metafunction (the pragmatic) and the
ideational one (the mathetic)? When the child learns to do these things
together, the child realizes and enables new ways of meaning and new ways
of thinking (viz. narratives).

In the case of "Guess what!" we have a good example of the
pragmatic/interpersonal predominating. In the case of "I found Grandpa's
book!" we have an example of the mathetic/ideational predominating.  When a
child produces the first true wording, it differs from "mama" in that it is
able to act pragmatically and mathetically (ideationally and
interpersonally) at one and the same time. But as Vygotsky says, this isn't
the end of the story. It's much more like the very beginning.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:40 AM, Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co