[Xmca-l] Re: [Rstlist] RST versus issue trees?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 14:05:55 PDT 2017

OK, Ed. Can I ask you to edit some of my awful writing? I mean, just clear
away phrases like "there are some not so well known indicators" and "our
author doesn't clear away any of this" where I try to imitate what I am
criticizing. I think that's not very helpful for RST people. I am not very
even tempered when I write these days (I've had eighteen rejections in one
year and I need acceptances in order to finish my PhD!)

Note that all this is pretty elementary for people who know RST. I doubt if
they will be impressed. Here is something that's rather more impressive.

In Matthiessen's "systemic-functionally flavoured" RST, he has three kinds
of expansion:

a) elaboration: that is, "e.g., "i.e.", "in other words" (=)
b) extension: "moreover", "furthermore", "in addition" (+)
c) enhancement: a very large category including reason, result, manner,
means, time, space: "so", "because", "in a way", "by way of", "meanwhile",
"elsewhere". (x, /, etc.)

Now, you might think that is a developmental order, because there seems to
be more semantic distance created in c) than in a).

Not a bit of it! In my data on oral presentations, the novices prefer c)
and the experts do a). Not only that, but BOTH novices and experts seem to
start out doing c) when they prepare and end up dong a) when they are ready.

Why?

David Kellogg
Macquarie University