[Xmca-l] Re: Contrasting 'use-value' & 'value'

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Apr 17 23:52:22 PDT 2017

Julian/Michael,

I remember getting very excited back in the early '80s when
I spotted the symmetry between the first chapters of Capital
and Marx's critique of algebra in his Mathematical
Manuscripts. That lasted about a week. The symmetry between
Vygotsky's analysis of speech and Marx's analysis of
production is a strong one because both take an
artefact-mediated relation between individuals as the unit.
There is a symmetry at the level of the molar unit as well,
which, so far as I know has been neglected. But this
structural symmetry cannot usefully be taken too far. The
"point" is that the unit is a unit of a whole, and the
productive activity of a community is not the same as its
language, which as Marx said "the philosophers are bound to
make into an independent realm." Concretely, speaking is not
producing. But like all human activities, both are subject
to analysis by units of artefact-mediated actions.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy