[Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Fri Oct 28 06:51:57 PDT 2016

thank you so much for taking the time to articulate, Huw, it is very much appreciated. Of course, humour ceases to be such when explained... But yes, there is definitely an issue and it seems that staying clear when using sexist terms could also be in the subject line.

Alfredo

From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Huw Lloyd <huw.softdesigns@gmail.com>
Sent: 28 October 2016 10:35
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Analysis of Gender in early xmca discourse

Clarifying on the link, it is a cartoon in which a female stick figure is
saying "Penises: they are about this big (pretty small). Now can we please,
as a culture, move on."

The headings are a simple leap: it is necessary to be overt if you want to
indicate some form of desired behaviour.  I literally do mean that you
could put "slow" up in the subject line, indicating that you want to have a
slow conversation... and that you don't mind if you have a thread that
appears to have fallen with a thud.  The peculiarity of it is commensurate
with the peculiarity of wanting to guide others in the responses sought.

It seems to me to be a plague subject: something v. important, but also
something that can be used to accuse others on pretty much any arbitrary
basis.  No wonder people stay clear.

Sorry, again, to offend.  I really do have other things I should be doing.

Best,
Huw