[Xmca-l] Re: Time for a Generational Change

Jay Lemke lemke.jay@gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:59:56 PDT 2016

Eeeek! Just saw I have 230 unread messages in xmca!

A sign of my long absence/peripherality. But having put my THANKS to Mike
on the LCHC list, I want to repeat it here, and add a welcome in his new
role to Alfredo! who may find he is Pastor (as Mike says) to not sheep, but
cats. ;-)

[For non-English-native friends, "herding cats" is an old idiom in English
for a difficult task working with independent-minded people.]

Like so many of us here, I owe a great debt of thanks for the stimulation
and support of this community in its many virtual incarnations over so many
years.

I remember the labyrinthine and herculean efforts it took back in the late
80s to connect an early model PC to the old xlchc, via a primitive
telephone modem, some software called Kermit, and the university's IBM
mainframe computer ... it wasn't even the WWW back then or the internet,
just the NSFNet and TCP/IP. Just getting connected online to the listgroup
was an education in technology! But worth every frustrating tech-glitch and
Read the Manual (for an IBM mainframe?!) mystery to participate in a
wonderful intellectual community.

In solidarity,

JAY.

Jay Lemke