[Xmca-l] Re: Why Doesn't Vygotsky Use "Microgenesis"?

White, Phillip Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu
Sat Oct 22 12:50:58 PDT 2016

Mike, i've been thinking about your comments regarding second language acquisition - you wrote:

Note, in our own published work on the acquisition of reading we adopt a
developmental model of the process. To tell the truth, the whole process
felt like a crisis for us and the kids, but qualitative change, and new
modes of diagnosis, emerged. Both microgenetically (in a day's
interactions) and in the ontogeny of the child as the new form of behavior
spread and solidified.

I have access to articles in Soviet Psychology/Journal of Russian
Psychology if the requisite materials are not already in your hands.

Seems like a place where questions of theory and questions of practice come
together. David has been teaching L2 for a long time. Others, like Phillip,
are teachers in schools where students are highly varied in their
acquisition of English.

thinking back on my working with students who spoke spanish as their first language, and were learning english as their second language, within a public school setting where the institutional goal was "standard academic english", i'd say that my theoretical guidance came from James Moffett, his Teaching The Universe of Discourse, which i learned about in the early 70's, and L. Vygotsky readings, and Marie Clay, she developed Reading Recovery with the emphasis on inner control (which she based on Vygotsky) who i learned about in the very late 80's.

although, working with students from the ages of 5 or 6, through ages 10 or 11, whose first language was spanish, while using Clay's instructional techniques, i realised that Clay was using a child's first language strengths to learn to read in her first language.  So, instead of beginning a lesson with a text that a child was unfamiliar with (with a picture walk, so that the child could deduct what the story was about based on the pictures, with my english language learners i would begin with both a picture walk as well as read aloud the text, because the second language learner could not depend on an internal understanding of the syntax and grammar of english to anticipate the up-coming word.  (Does it make sense? Does it sound right? Does it look right?) over time, which was highly individual, change emerged.  sometimes there were weeks long plateaus, and other times i was astonished by the speed of an individual learner.

as Gregory Bateson points out, human beings are not billiard balls.  you can't accurately predict what they will do next.  you can make approximations.

also, of invaluable guidance from Clay was her admonition to always give the child the benefit of the doubt as to the 'correctness' of a response, as well as recognising approximations as a strength to build upon.

and, by the way, i also learned that working with first language english speakers, that often children who were raised in poverty as well as social chaos and unpredictability, needed practically the same kinds of supports in learning to read and write as did second language learners.

i could go on and on about this subject, but .....

phillip

________________________________
David & Arturo. You lost me you got to AA Leontiev,
David. Which of his writings on the organization of language learning
activity can I find that he denied crises in development. In principle,
such ideas should show up in flaws in his methodology. How does that work?

I have read more than I have forgotten, but I would like to see how this
issue influences the pedagogy.

Maybe you would be interested in helping us identify texts, Arturo.

Note, in our own published work on the acquisition of reading we adopt a
developmental model of the process. To tell the truth, the whole process
felt like a crisis for us and the kids, but qualitative change, and new
modes of diagnosis, emerged. Both microgenetically (in a day's
interactions) and in the ontogeny of the child as the new form of behavior
spread and solidified.

I have access to articles in Soviet Psychology/Journal of Russian
Psychology if the requisite materials are not already in your hands.

Seems like a place where questions of theory and questions of practice come
together. David has been teaching L2 for a long time. Others, like Phillip,
are teachers in schools where students are highly varied in their
acquisition of English.

A lot of others on xmca could also describe (or deny the presence of )
crises that arise when there is a qualitative shift in L1-->L2 students. I
seemed to go through distinct stages, qualitative shifts, in the
acquisition of spoken and written Russian. I acquired the ability to speak
more quickly than to write. Reading was the refuge where I had to figure
out what people had been saying in the seminar from written texts. I do not
remember any moment of crisis (except that of a dumb, dangerous, foreigner,
newby) when I became qualitatively different. My best evidence that it was
a qualitative shift is that my wife, who went through all these events with
me, does not like my personality when I spoke Russian to this day. :~)

It would be totally neat to find convergence around AA Leontiev here that
could generate a classic article in *Mind, Culture, and Activity.*

mike

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch