[Xmca-l] Re: Why Doesn't Vygotsky Use "Microgenesis"?

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:12:49 PDT 2016

It wasn't me, Michael. To tell you the truth, I am a lousy reviewer, I
never give anybody an outright rejection, because I assume the editor had a
good reason for sending it out for review. In fact, what I usually say
is "publish and I'll write a reply", and as you can see I sometimes get
a really conscientious, top-notch editor who will acquiesce. A propos, I
think I remember a wonderful article on the ox-herding pictures which YOU
once sent to me, and I suggested publishing, but unfortunately, for reasons
I still can't understand and which were never explained, it got nixed.
Anyway, I'm afraid I can't share any rejections I've written with you; I
don't actually write any, or I haven't for a long time anyway.

I am not actually offended by the comparison with Trump, although I don't
think that was your intention anyway. I certainly agree that America is not
a democracy and that the elections are a sham, I myself do not intend to
accept the results, since there will be no working class party
substantially represented, and I think the exclusion of working class
parties by itself constitutes a rigging of the election by the American
bourgeoisie. The fact that Trump is able to garner a full third or even
more of the electorate simply by being rich, white and male and hang onto
this third no matter what he says and does is only an epiphenomenal example
of the much more profound way in which US elections are rigged. And now I
think we can all agree that if any system is well and truly broken, surely
this is one.

Like you I delight in a good rejection: they are indeed a good source of
development and we should revel in the rare ones that show care and
discrimination. But like anything else, when you get a lot of them, you
become something of a connoisseur. My least favourite rejections are those
by editors who ask you to read things they have clearly not read
themselves, or not read carefully enough. My favourite kind are those that
come with quite searching questions and specific suggestions, and my last
rejection from MCA was certainly a case in point. Alas, I must keep it to
myself; I do intend to resubmit.

Here is one problem that is worth sharing on the list, I think; it's
related to an exchange that you and Mike had with Matusov, and also to the
discussion we once had on whether the Chicago system should be adopted for
footnoting in lieu of APA. Editors will often object to the way I do
literature reviews, because, like you, I dislike name-dropping. But in
order to do what Swales used to call CARS ("Create A Research Space") I am
asked to play a kind of game of "Snowball", where you cite all the work
that has been done on a particular problem, usually in some very general
statement like "X has been extensively studied" followed by mammoth
parentheses stuffed with a dozen names that have nothing whatsoever to do
with each other. The next writer will have to play the same game and add my
name, and the result is that the "Research Space" always gets smaller and
smaller and the statement of common interest gets more and more general.

So instead I tend to select three studies, leave the summary of research
where the reader can find it (i.e. in the studies cited), subject the
studies to the kind of criticism they might have from a good reviewer, and
then try to overcome the perceived weaknesses with my own study. But one of
the problems is that, for better or worse, the authors I have criticized
are called in as reviewers. This adds to the piquancy of the review, but it
also increases the chance of rejection.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University