[Xmca-l] [Fwd: National Search for new Chair for C&I - please share widely]

Goncu, Artin goncu@uic.edu
Wed Nov 9 18:29:16 PST 2016

fyi

Subject: National Search for new Chair for C&I - please share widely
From:    "Josh Radinsky" <joshuar@UIC.EDU>
Date:    Wed, November 9, 2016 4:34 pm
To:      EDFAC@LISTSERV.UIC.EDU

Hello College of Ed colleagues, as you know the Curriculum & Instruction
Department currently has a job search open to hire a new Chair.

Below, and attached, please find the ad for the position - we encourage
you to please share it widely, and particularly with anyone who you think
might pose a good match for the priorities of the Department and our
College, and a good fit with our faculty.

Many thanks,

Josh and the C&I Chair Search Committee

Josh Radinsky, PhD
Associate Professor of Curriculum Studies and the Learning Sciences
University of Illinois at Chicago
Director of Graduate Studies, Learning Sciences
Co-Editor in Chief, Journal of the Learning Sciences

——

JOB POSTING ANNOUNCEMENT:

University of Illinois at Chicago
College of Education
Curriculum and Instruction
Department Chair

The College of Education at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC),
ranked in the top 50 Colleges of Education in the nation, is seeking
applications to fill the position of Department Chair for Curriculum and
Instruction beginning in the 2017-2018 academic year. Candidates should be
at the Associate or Full Professor rank.

UIC’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction is the vibrant home to 30
faculty members and 500 students (undergraduate and graduate) who are
engaged in critical scholarship, practice, and praxis addressing the most
pressing issues in education, both locally and globally. The department
has a long and celebrated history of producing scholars, educators, and
leaders whose work has shaped the educational research community,
nationally and internationally, and the practices and contexts of
schooling in Chicago Public Schools, the nation’s third largest school
district. The department has produced notable scholarship in areas
including curriculum studies; the teaching and learning of mathematics,
history, literacies and science; bilingual education; language ideology;
political economy; teacher learning and development; and the history of
education, among others.

Through its three doctoral programs (Curriculum Studies; Literacy,
Language and Culture; Mathematics and Science Education) three master’s
programs (Educational Studies; Language, Literacies and Learning; Science
Education), and one undergraduate program (Urban Elementary Education),
the Curriculum and Instruction Department prepares educators, researchers,
and advocates to work effectively in urban schools, institutions of higher
education, and other educational and community contexts. The faculty
actively engages the most pressing problems facing urban communities
through our work at the intersection of teaching, research, policy, and
practice, and we are committed to changing the landscape of education
inside and outside of schools and wherever learning takes place. Our
scholarship and teaching is grounded in a commitment to social, racial,
and economic justice.

We seek a Chair who is committed to working with our dynamic and
productive faculty in collectively charting the direction for the
Department moving forward, including, but not limited to, nurturing the
Department’s research productivity; supporting an optimal educational
experience for undergraduate and graduate students; and continuing to
develop our premier urban elementary education program. We seek candidates
whose scholarship is rooted in the histories, contexts, and/or practices
of teaching and learning. Applicants who bridge disciplinary boundaries
and engage in critical analysis of urban education are particularly
encouraged to apply. Candidates should have a vigorous program of
research, a record of scholarly publications, evidence of strong teaching,
and experience and skills in mentoring, administrative leadership and
organizational development. As part of the leadership role in the
Department, the Chair will also be expected to teach, mentor students, and
supervise doctoral dissertations.

Please submit application materials electronically at
https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=72485
<https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=72485> no later than
December 2, 2016. These materials should include
(a) a letter of application addressing fit with expectations for the
position;
(b) a curriculum vitae,
(c) copies of two recent publications, and
(d) the names of and contact information for at least three references.

For inquiries about this position contact Dr. Josh Radinsky, Chair of
Search Committee, joshuar@uic.edu <mailto:joshuar@uic.edu>.

The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative
Action employer.  Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.

The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job
candidates upon acceptance of contingent offer of employment. Background
checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act
will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Artin Goncu, Ph.D
http://www.artingoncu.com/
Professor Emeritus,
University of Illinois at Chicago