[Xmca-l] A request on behalf of Eugene Matusov: Inviting prospective grad students to SCA doctoral program

Ana Marjanovic-Shane anamshane@gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 14:09:39 PST 2016

Dear colleagues,

I would like to ask you to share the following invitation letter with
prospective graduate students who may be interested in the Sociocultural
and Community-Based Approaches doctoral program in the School of Education,
University of Delaware.

Thanks a lot,

Eugene Matusov

–––––
…

Editor-in-Chief, Dialogic Pedagogy Journal

Professor of Education

School of Education

16 W Main st

University of Delaware

Newark, DE 19716, USA

Email: ematusov@udel.edu
…

Publications: http://ematusov.soe.udel.edu/vita/publications.htm

DiaPed: http://diaped.soe.udel.edu

DPJ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DPJ.two/

––––-

Dear prospective doctoral graduate education student–

We would like to invite to apply to the graduate program in the
Sociocultural and Community-Based Approaches (SCA) doctoral program in the
School of Education, University of Delaware. The Sociocultural and
Community-Based Approaches to Research and Education specialization views
education as contextual, dialogic, and relational. We recognize that
learning is shaped by institutions, cultures, communities (including online
communities), practices, technology, and histories. We are interested in
how teachers, students, families, community members, and the society at
large “make sense” of the principles and practices of education in complex
and sometimes contradictory ways. We seek to investigate the purposes of
education and to create models of equitable quality education.

Our perspective includes, but is not limited to, research done in the area
of situated cognition, critical pedagogy, critical race theory, social
justice, feminist theory and disabilities studies. It also encompasses
social science approaches grounded in sociology, psychology, anthropology
and history.

The SCA specialization emphasizes the development of expertise in
conducting high-quality research on significant issues in sociocultural and
community-centered approaches to education. We also strive to prepare
teacher educators who will engage preservice and in-service teachers,
educational leaders and policy makers, and families and students in the
work of examining and developing equitable educational communities.

We are committed to authorial education, graduate students’ ownership of
their education, and graduate students’ learning activism.  We believe that
graduate students should become responsible for making informed decisions
and defining their own education journey. We support diverse informal forms
of education.

Currently, we have the following informal organizations meeting on a
regular basis:

·        SCA Reading Group, where we – faculty and grad students – select
books for monthly reading and in depth discussion;

·        SCA Teaching Club, where we discuss our teaching successes and
challenges on a weekly basis;

·        SCA Research Group, where we present and discuss our research
projects on a weekly basis.

Our recently graduated, and advanced doctoral candidates’ dissertation
topics include, multicultural dialogic education, social justice education,
dialogic pedagogy, and teacher education for equity, hip hop pedagogy,
democratic dialogic education, critical dialogue and so on.

For further information, please, visit our website:
http://www.education.udel.edu/doctoral/phd/sca/

The deadline for application is December 15th online:
http://www.education.udel.edu/prospective-students/how-to-apply/

If you have questions about the SCA program, please contact:

Dr. Elizabeth Soslau (the SCA coordinator): esoslau@udel.edu

--
*Ana Marjanovic-Shane*
Dialogic Pedagogy Journal, Editor (dpj.pitt.edu)