[Xmca-l] Re: What are we doing here?

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Sat Nov 5 14:04:43 PDT 2016

Thank you from me too, Dana, and to Chris for offering this list of potentially marginalising moves.

I am conscious, when I consider replying to a post here, that I don't feel sure about the prevailing etiquette - the done thing - and I suspect that this may be partly because there are many different things being done here all at the same time.

An image that popped into my mind while I was trying to work out what I wanted to say was the inter-alien bar scenes in 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and, I believe, in Star Wars films - where beings from different worlds drink, talk, gamble and fight together (very blokey!). Is that what we have here? A bunch of Vygotsky exegetes and scholars, another group of academics who would like to know what the scholars say but who don't have the time (or the knowledge of Russian) to be able to engage with the texts in the same way, some practitioners (particularly language teachers?) and at other tables all sorts of other interesting and interested people each belonging to one or many groups which each have their own ways of doing things.

What complicates matters further is that (I suspect) most of us are not able to linger as long as we might like in this hyper-cosmopolitan melee of ideas, which means that our contributions are sporadic and cannot hope to sustain threads or even zig-gap-zags. I am deeply grateful to the 'regulars' who put in the real work to keep conversations going and most of the time I am content to listen in on their conversations but sometimes I do try to chip in.

The din in the bar makes it hard to follow several different conversations at the same time (I am listening in on the genesis of gendered expectations, dipping a toe into first and second signal systems and trying to follow the discussion about what we are doing here). I have just read a chapter by Ruqaiya Hasan, recommended by David Kellogg, which includes some lovely examples of conversations between mothers and young children - usually alongside the dailiness of getting on with what needs doing - and this made me realise how impossible it would be to transcribe a 'conversation' on xmca. One post can result in multiple simultaneous responses, each of which potentially takes the conversation in a different direction - or in none. Some of these responses may be cross-linked by traces from previous other posts so we end up with not so much a chain of linked but separate ideas as a tree of branching and spreading ones.

Hasan (http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Paper/JuneJuly05/HasanSemMediation.pdf ) writes about the way children are shaped by both visible and invisible pedagogies - by HOW others engage with them and respond to them as well as by WHAT others say - some children learning to expect others to be interested in what they think while others learn that they are expected to fit in and do and think as they are expected to do and think. And of course these differences are both socially productive and reproductive.

So what can participants in xmca learn about how we are expected to do things? Yes, we could have a set of protocols and rules - but which species would decide what those should be? Better, I suspect, to accept the diversity of cultures while recognising that we all have a responsibility to do our best to make sure we don't trample on anyone in the hurly burly.

I think there is something here about a dialectic between the critical component of contributions and their ethical component - between the second signal system, conceptual, co-generalized WHAT and the respect, trust and social sensitivity in HOW we engage with each other and I do think this is particularly challenging when we can't quite be sure what it is that other participants are up to.

I like the liveliness and I value the opportunity to stumble across bits of long-running conversations but I hope I can do something to make what we are doing here feel more inclusive - it is particularly hard to know when you have trodden on someone's toe or caused offence when there is so little real time feedback- and I am completely with Annalisa when she pointed out that it isn't the victims of a car crash who should be expected to take responsibility for making sure lessons are learned.

Too long- sorry!

Rod