[Xmca-l] Re: What are we doing here?

Christopher Schuck schuckthemonkey@gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 12:18:08 PDT 2016

Sure, Dana - thanks for asking. It's not detailed or especially revelatory;
just a simple heuristic accounting for some of the complaints that seem to
have come up either directly or indirectly, and one possible starting point
in the event that some new convention or unofficial policy is ever
attempted. Why don't I just include it below for simplicity's sake. Perhaps
it's still relevant to Rod's question "What are we doing here?" in speaking
the opposite question, "Whatever else we might be doing here, what *don't *
we want to be doing here?" By the way, I realize now that the second long
paragraph of my prior post devoted to time frames, in media res, etc. was
actually intended for one of the other threads discussing that theme, but
had trouble locating that one and then forgot to separate it. Sorry if it
seemed out of place here.

I wasn't aware of the Voicemail application - that sounds interesting. It
was actually Greg who mentioned the phone and prosody, but it's fitting you
bring it up because I had also considered sharing anecdotally (re. diverse
cognitive and discursive style) that personally, I have always hated the
phone and feel way more connected to people when writing or face to face.
For me, that middle ground of phone or Skype just ends up being the worst
of both worlds: less organic than pure verbal *or *pure embodied
interaction. But that's just me.

Anyway, here's what I wrote before, for what it's worth:

"As part of any effort to make discussions more inclusive, it might be
worth specifying the kinds of problematic dynamics being targeted. For
instance, off the top of my head I can think of seven ways, broadly
speaking, that people might end up feeling marginalized or shut out of
conversations:

1) Someone makes a thoughtful or relevant comment that invites some kind of
further response, and is roundly ignored.

2) Someone makes a comment and is responded to on a very abstract or
theoretical level incongruent with the spirit in which the comment was made
(including reference to concrete lived experience).

3) Someone makes a comment and is responded to concretely and directly, but
with a certain degree of insensitivity or unequal power dynamic (conscious
or not).

4) Someone is responded to with overt hostility, intimidation,
passive-aggressiveness and/or deliberate insensitivity.

5) Someone finds it especially difficult to enter or make any initial post,
due to lots of "inside" conversation or a competitive sink-or-swim
environment that makes it feel unpalatable or unsafe to participate.

6) Someone comes to a conversation to find they're already hopelessly
behind (e.g. 30 posts from missing a couple days), and finds it difficult
to catch up or contribute anything they might still have to offer, because
the thread is geared only toward those who have been there from the very
beginning (and no one is willing to cut them some slack or help fill in
missing context)

7) A newcomer who has never participated before would like to join one of
the ongoing conversations, but has absolutely no idea what the prevailing
customs are and what is appropriate, or what level of erudition and
background familiarity is assumed for which fields, and as a result feels
like they have nothing to hang their hat on."

Chris