[Xmca-l] Re: The power of Humanities in a recursive loop

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Mon May 23 13:05:04 PDT 2016

All

     Although I have been known to pour paint thinner down the toilet, I much approve of Annalisa’s solution (unfortunately there are no water quality people around here).

      Insofar as coding goes, I did, perhaps, learn to code by means other than strictly copying or pasting. However, oddly enough, I began with sketching - I needed to do this for a programmer who did work for me from time to time - and, when he was busy, I found myself translating the sketch into pseudo-code and later into code. Nonetheless, it is as Greg may be saying, you build-on /copy/paste others’ insights. Even original coding does that and I have written operating systems, compliers, games, etc.
      Anyway, Annalisa’s point of beginning with sketching is a very good idea. Then when you have a sort of idea of what you want to happen you need to learn how to force whatever system of coding you are using to implement the sketch. There are people who don’t need to do this, but they probably wrote the system you are using out of a particular need of their own. Finally, you need to think like a computer; i.e.. dumb! This is probably the most important characteristic a good coder has. He or she knows how to think dumb.
     People have tried to take the ‘coding’ out and leave the sketching in. That works well for simple applications - see, for example, the community version of LiveCode. However, it doesn’t work too well for something interesting. The history of computer languages provides, by the way, a rather fascinating picture of attempts to capture aspects of human rationality and some of the more interesting attempts you could say were non-STEM.

Ed