[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination;semiotic mediation

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Sun Mar 27 08:03:36 PDT 2016

And another kind of condensation (or maybe really two kinds in one:  a headline about twitter:
"Microsoft Created a Twitter Bot to Learn From Users. It Quickly Became a Racist Jerk."
We have met the enemy and they are us.
Depressing Easter Sunday thought.  Something has risen and we don't like it!
Peg

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:44 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Imagination;semiotic mediation

I invite comment on the process of interpreting images using the most recent New Yorker cover as an example. They often strike me as especially rich condensed representations.
They are one of the means I use to think about Eisenshtein, who David has brought into recent discussions to useful effect.

How do you interpret the raised hand and inscriptions to be found at newyorker.com if you scroll down the page. The leftmost image with a hand.
How do you interpret it from first impression to reflective summary/label?

If this proves interesting the cover with the stop sign would be a second choice.

Mike

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object that creates history. Ernst Boesch