[Xmca-l] Re: Community Psychology

Ronald Gallimore ronaldg@ucla.edu
Wed Mar 23 17:48:05 PDT 2016

Mike…

“Activity setting” is the terminology Tom Weisner and I used in a AAA paper (attached) “constructed” by us to reflect the impact on our thinking of the Whitings Psychocultural Theory and Activity Theory/Vygotsky. Roland and I used it in in Rousing Minds to Life. We were trying at the time to see a convergence in thinking in different realms of psychology and anthropology. The Psychocultural folks used “settings” which seemed to map onto “activity” as you and many others were introducing to American psychology.

From the Conclusions of Weisner & Gallimore (1985):

"The convergence of these two theories suggests some interesting hypotheses: First, for cultural change to have effects on individuals, ecocultural forces must be instantiated into activity settings which are a part of the everyday life of the individual. Changes which never influence goals, motives, personnel, tasks, and task requirements will have little effect on individual cognition, emotion and behavior. This is as true of the home and community setting, as it is for the classroom: efforts to "make culture relevant for minority education" which do not also have the effect of reshaping relevant features of classroom activity settings are unlikely to produce strong effects on learning.

A second hypothesis relates specifically to children and to efforts to affect child development through parent training. Many programs rely on training of parents to achieve socially desirable goals. The convergence of activity and ecocultural theory suggests that none of these will have lasting effects unless they create activities which are supported by the local ecocultural niche.

A related version of the same hypothesis is a requirement that any effort to train parents must require evidence that such training is not only supported by the niche, but is adopted by other parents and diffused through the niche as a valued innovation by kinsmen and other culture members.

Uniting of activity and ecocultural theory provides an attractive alternative to explanations using packed, global terms, such as differential levels of "stimulation" for children, or packaged family-level measures such as socioeconomic status rankings. Used in this way stimulation has roughly the same explanatory properties as bad night air. Something about better educated mothers makes them more stimulating--but what? What are the mediating mechanisms? The combination of the two theories provides a basis for specifying at the level of cultural activities what it is that accounts for differential behavior, and at the same time provides a principled basis for identifying the ecocultural context which gives rise to the activities. What matters is the ecocultural factors that in turn influence the who, why, what and how of the activities in which children spend their time.”

ron