[Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Wed Mar 23 17:11:49 PDT 2016

Greg, to respond to your question on the strength of a
cable. It is actually calculated the same way as a single
piece of steel, but cable brings the advantages of
flexibility and "insurance", in that a defect in one strand
does not run across the whole cable. So it is stronger by
being more reliable.

My remark about "lock step" was that CCP seemed to rely on
people doing things together (such as playing games or doing
routine work together) so that people had the same
experience, like marching in time to the same music. It
seems to me that the bonding and understanding which arises
from collaboration is the creative mutual appropriation
which arises out of conflict. The whole is greater than the
sum of the parts. So for CCP "intersubjectivity" indicating
this empathy arising from identical experiences. For CHAT of
course "intersubjectivity" is a very general category
referring to participating in a same activity, but probably
in very different ways and with different feelings and beliefs.

On shared concepts, of course we need shared concepts. My
"warning" was just the obvious point that appropriating
concepts can be the actual source of misunderstanding. An
example of this is the constant complaints by Russians that
the Americans have misunderstood Vygotsky. Care has to be
taken. At first sight a new word seems to fit nicely into
one's own point of view because it is "appropriated" and
given a meaning which makes sense within the system of one's
own view. So one and the same word has different meanings in
different currents of thinking. It is necessary to enter
somewhat more into the totality of ideas from which a word
comes to acquire the concept it is indicating. Nonetheless,
understanding a few concepts, properly, belonging to another
science, is most important to successful interdisciplinarity.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/