[Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 11:48:30 PDT 2016

I read the article and was drawn to the concepts [activity setting] [intersubjectivity] and [joint action]. I decided to explore the meaning of the concept [joint action] as referenced to Gunther Knoblich. This is the article I located which helped to situate what this months article for discussion is referring to by the name [joint action].
This article is referencing cognitive psychology and psycho-neurology.

Of particular interest is the way this article references James *ideomotor theory* and the way this theory has been extended into *common coding theory*[page 3]. This theory postulates that the same representations are involved in action production and action observation.

On page 4 this paper suggests that for the effect of joint action to manifest requires only the *belief* that the other person will perform the other *part* of a joint task. The joint action does not require the direct observation of the other’s task performance.

This paper’s understanding of this phenomena is that a task representation that *includes the potential* actions of others can be as effective in activating representations as the **observation* of somebody else’s actions.

In other words the mirror neuron *functionality* is CONSTRAINED by a higher *form* or *gestalt* task representation that allows one to keep one’s own and the other’s *part* of the task *apart* without giving up the *basic mirror neuron* inter/subjective *link* provided by the functionality of the mirror neuron system.

In other words the nonsymbolic and nonintentional *basic* or primary inter/subjective inter/action shares a basic inter/est  [read as inter/esse] within a shared eco/logy as the primary *domain* or *field*.

The other domain or field is the intentional sharing of symbolic signs between subjects.

The question being explored as a shared inter/esse is this question:
Can joint action [understood as the ability to re/present others’ *potential* actions work in the SAME WAY  [same form or gestalt] as one’s own actions. Can this joint action  occur in the *absence* of perceptual evidence.
I hope this article is helpful to others to situate the meaning of *joint action* as a concept central to this months article for discussion.
The article helped me situate this central concept within an ideomotor background gestalt.
Larry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Alfredo Jornet Gil
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 9:19 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Article for Discussion

Thanks Cliff and Mike for sharing this interesting article. I was not familiar to cultural community psychology and this and the other papers in the symposium do a great job introducing and concisely describing the field, and how it evolved from community to cultural community psychology.

As I was reading, I wondered how much the influence of CHAT literature had influenced the development of community psychology itself from the start. As I progressed in my reading, I then found clear references to these influences, which even meant the delay of the publishing of Roland's work, I assume, due to the important input that Vygotsky's publications meant for the project. But then I wondered on what had been other sources. What were other foundational influences to the field? I'd be interested to know about them in part because, while the paper discusses many examples in which CHAT gives input to CC, I would like to know more about the (possible) inputs in the other direction.

Also, I found interesting the mention of a new center of commonality in psychology in general. I was glad to see, however brief, mentions to research in cognitive science and psycho-neurology. In your paper, Delta theory is mentioned as a move forward towards integration. In the case of CHAT, this was pursued by means of developing a scientific discipline based on dialectical materialism and the sociogenetic method. Delta theory (I just had a very brief first contact) seems to build upon the notion of psychosocial systems. This sounds very much in line with Vygotsky, who surely is a central source. Again, here I would love to hear what other insights/sources are involved that may provide new insights to those more familiar to CHAT but not so much with CC and Delta theory.

Thanks,
Alfredo