[Xmca-l] Re: Community Psychology

Cliff O'Donnell cliffo@hawaii.edu
Wed Mar 23 13:31:32 PDT 2016

Greg, for an overview of the Yale Psycho-Educational Clinic, see:

Goldenburg, I. and Levine, M. (1969), The development and evolution of
the YALE PSYCHO-EDUCATIONAL CLINIC. Applied Psychology: An
International Review, 18, 101–110. doi: 10.1111/j.
1464-0597.1969.tb00671.x

Cliff

On Mar 22, 2016, at 7:22 PM, Greg Thompson wrote:

> Mike,
> Just wondering if you had any observations to share about the Yale
> Psycho-Educational Clinic?
> (or maybe you had left Yale by then?).
> Seemed like an interesting attempt to create a setting that would be
> neat
> to hear more about from the outside.
> -greg
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM, mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> Trying to follow through on each of the concepts, Cliff.
>>
>> In this connection, I notice that you use the term "activity
>> setting" which
>> you attribute to Vygotsky. The book I took the McDermott materials
>> from is
>> called "Understanding Practice: Perspectives on activity and
>> context. In
>> that book, in the discussions among authors, Engestrom is led to
>> declare
>> that "the activity is the context."
>>
>> So my mind is spinning around what an activity setting might refer
>> to over
>> and above "activity." And then there is the question of how your
>> use of the
>> term context and the word setting relate to each other. And all of
>> this is
>> presumably closely linked to the discussion on text/context.
>>
>> Interesting to revisit old topics from new perspectives.
>>
>> mike
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Cliff O'Donnell <cliffo@hawaii.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Mike. Attached is the manuscript for my 2012 article with
>>> Roland.
>>> In it we discuss how we are using the concepts of context,
>>> culture, and
>>> intersubjectivity.
>>> Note that context is expressed in one of the goals of community
>> psychology
>>> by its professional organization,
>>> the Society for Community Research and Action (SCRA):
>>> ‘'to promote theory development and research that increases
>>> our understanding of human behavior in context’'
>>> (SCRA 2010 )."
>>>
>>> After discussing the many meanings of culture, we used the
>>> definition as
>>> the "shared meanings of people, developed through their history
>>> and activities." Also in our discussion of intersubjectivity, we
>>> noted
>>> "intersubjectivity does not imply uniformity. Diversity may be a
>>> shared
>>> value,
>>> agreement about process may allow frequent conflict, and there will
>> always
>>> be differences among people in their skills, thoughts, experience,
>>> and
>>> emotions. In
>>> addition, activity settings are dynamic; their characteristics are
>>> in
>> flux
>>> and, therefore, the intersubjectivity of their participants change
> [...]
>>> time (O’Donnell et al.
>>> 1993, p. 507)."
>>>
>>> Cliff
>>>

>>> On Mar 20, 2016, at 8:26 AM, mike cole wrote:
>>>
>>> Alfredo's comments sent me looking for background material on the
>>> CC side

>> Intervention
>> professionally.

>> --
>>
>> It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with
>> an object
>> that creates history. Ernst Boesch
>>

> --
> Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Anthropology
> 880 Spencer W. Kimball Tower
> Brigham Young University
> Provo, UT 84602
> http://byu.academia.edu/GregoryThompson

Clifford R. O'Donnell, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus
Past-President, Society for Community Research and Action (APA
Division 27)

University of Hawai‘i
Department of Psychology
2530 Dole Street