[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky.Peirce.Mediation

Ma, James (james.ma@canterbury.ac.uk) james.ma@canterbury.ac.uk
Wed Jun 22 09:12:32 PDT 2016

Mike and Larry, I agree with you both.

I've been enjoying reading this too - it's truly refreshing, enlightening to me!  Making Peirce in dialogue with Vygotsky has been my interest for years. Alfred's ideas would be very useful to my next article for MCA re the ontological relevance of Peircean iconicity for Vygotskian semiotic mediation.

James

________________________________
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu>
Sent: 22 June 2016 16:42
To: Lplarry
Cc: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky.Peirce.Mediation

Larry--

Certainly the participants of xlchc, as xmca was called at the time, felt a
bond with each other.
It was a time of rapid change, new ideas and new modes of
interaction-at-a-distance offered the possibility of mobilizing enough
internationally distributed resources to allow us to make a quantum leap in
our understanding of the role of culture in human development and the many
associated issues that such an interest require mastery of.

Two of the central participants have died subsequently, others have moved
on to other ventures. Now the quantum leap seems a little more like the
slow uneven, blurred movement of sand sliding down a sand dune in the
Sahara, but it sure enough felt like lived experience at the time!

There are a LOT of substantive issues taken up by Alfred in that document.
Somewhere in there must be a good summary of his on semiotic/ecological
framework. Whether those currently pursuing the possible synergies to be
had by putting Peirce in conversation with LSV have superseded this early
two decades old scholarship I am unsure. I often found Alfred difficult to
understand; the payoff was in the trying and the friendships that evolved
from the shared effort.

mike

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:40 PM, Lplarry <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I have been reading the link that Andy sent and am experiencing a deep
> (bond) among the participants in this act of culture.
>
> Reflecting on the image of bridges connecting  entities in relation to
> this (bond) I experienced in my encountering you and Alfred and Arne on
> this site, where do we locate this bond. Is this bond a “living” entity?
>
> Do the **persons** I am encountering here and now have any substance or
> essence?
>
> Is it permissible to say these **persons** bonding exist or are real as a
> **living** presence.
>
> Is this occurring only inside my **mind** as imaginary or imagination.
>
> Or is there a 3rd realm that I will call **imaginal** as an adjective.
>
> To ask if this (bond) I experience as I interpret the words is actually an
> imaginal image that presents itself through encountering this  living
> presence as this (bond).
>
> I am using **imaginal** image to convey a sense of the presence of these
> 3 persons bonding that is a living (vital, animated) presence. This
> presence is not captured or expressed in the same way when using the words
> imaginary or imagination.
>
> If others who are reading the link are also experiencing this (bond) then
> it is not merely private nor objective. It seems to be a third way (via
> media).
>
> I do not think the bridge metaphor expresses this **imaginal** image as
> what is occurring is **deep within** our meeting in this third space.
>
> I have a hunch that Peirce as a third way may contribute something to my
> question.
>

> Sent from my Windows 10 phone

LCHC: The Connection from the West<http://lchc.ucsd.edu/Histarch/LAEMDI.PDF>
lchc.ucsd.edu
ExtrA Lang e-mail discussion Alfred Lang 1 LCHC: The Connection from the West go to the xlist introduction go to table of xlist discussion topics go to table of ...