[Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Tue Jul 5 23:48:07 PDT 2016

Not sure this qualifies for your project, Andy, but something in your original post reminded me of Lakoff's Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Politics_%28book%29

What really sparked this recall for me was Lakoff's discussion of hybrids. For instance, a factory worker who is liberal at work (supports his labor brothers), but conservative at home (he is king of his castle), or a single mother who works in a law office: she is conservative at work, but liberal at home while raising her children.

Lakoff claims that the elections in 2000 came from Karl Rove's mastermind-activation of the frames of these hybrids, who tend to hover around the center (in American politics).

Of course, I'm recalling a book I read over 10 years ago, but it certainly assisted in my understanding conservatives, who constantly perplexed me. At least the purpose of the book was successful... for me.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Annalisa