[Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Jul 5 03:15:10 PDT 2016

I understand what Elinami and you, Carol, are saying. My
unwillingness to acknowledge this idea without qualification
is that the idea that "honour" is such a factor in the
self-consciousness of people not from liberal-individualist
capitalist societies is associated with the denigration of
other cultures. Suicide and depression (when not leading to
actual suicide) are at almost epidemic levels in these
liberal-individualist societies. Why? Well, that's too big a
question, probably, but the feeling of aloneness, the
feelings of uselessness, powerlessness, isolation and the
meaninglessness of life for many in the "west," is really
not a lot different from "loss of honour". But generally
throwing acid on your wife or killing your son-in-law are,
not, thank heavens, seen as ways of restoring meaning and
coherence in life in our countries.

Families, yes, the family is the most important project in
the lives of probably most people. And no, it will be a week
before Australians know what government we shall have. Last
time it took 17 days. Was such a pleasure watching the
Conservatives discovering that not everyone loved them.

Rob, yes, you are talking about my topic here. But instead
of saying: "the project has very definitely shaped the
virtues its proponents hold," I say the individuals express
the virtues (or lack thereof) of the project. And in virtue
ethics, a natural virtue which allows people to do bad
things, which they would not do if they could exercise moral
wisdom to control their actions, are imperfect, they are not
really virtues. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"
for example.

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy