[Xmca-l] Re: Appeal for help

R.J.S.Parsons r.j.s.parsons@open.ac.uk
Tue Jul 5 02:11:49 PDT 2016

I'm just musing here. What you're saying resonates with some of my
thinking around Britain's EU referendum and the subsequent national
crisis that we are still going through. (Has ended one or two political
careers, much to my delight, but has not ended some others, to my chagrin.)

The whole issue is complex, so I will probably do violence to it by
describing it briefly. Those who voted to leave were, on the whole,
taking aim at the wrong target. There appears to have been some
difficulty distinguishing beween what people are angry about and what
people are angry at. On the whole, they are angry about loss of
security, loss of control, lack of steady jobs, the extraordinary price
that needs to be paid for a house. There is also anger, as there away
is, about immigration, which is even more complex. Leave voters thought
that by voting to leave the EU they were taking back control. In a few
years time they will realise that they have not, and then I think, by
and large, there will be two camps. One camp will be those who realise
that nothing in their lives has changed. The other will be those who,
whatever the economic and social reality, will feel free, and will go to
great lengths to say so. Some indeed are already saying an economic
decline is a price worth paying for taking back control.

So that is the scene in which two contradictory projects have been
taking place. Actually, more than two, but two key ones. The first is
the project to take back control, channelled through the rise of UKIP
and Nigel Farage's almost single handed ability to mobilise working
class resentment into a political tool. In this project patriotism has
become a very significant virtue. The demagogic right wing has shaped
patriotism into a virtue which, in its thinking, its supporters have and
nobody else does. (And it is expressed through native exceptionalism.)
At the same time, anger - in their view "righteous" anger - has become a
virtue which they share and promulgate. One of the nastier themes of
their discourse is to shout "Traitor" at those campaigning on the other
side. Manifestations of anger are now commonplace, from the murder of Jo
Cox to the apparently 500% rise in hate incidents reported to the police
since the result. So it seems the project has very definitely shaped the
virtues its proponents hold.

On the other side, the position is more complex. For those who support
staying in the EU, national identity is a complex issue which they have
not succeeded in grappling with coherently. There is a muddy sense of
European identity for some people, but not for others. Virtues of
co-operation and internationalism are spoken about, but none with the
conviction and passion of the nativists. So - still thinking aloud here
- I think I'm illustrating the idea that projects form their own
virtues, but also that some projects form virtues, and enable their
expression, much more effectively than others.

Thank you for asking the question, Andy, because you have enabled me  to
advance my thinking a bit. And if it provides fuel for you, that is a bonus.

Rob