[Xmca-l] Re: The Semiotic Stance.pdf

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Jul 3 17:19:37 PDT 2016

That is quite right, Mike.

Herder's place in the genealogy of a whole number of ideas
which are crucial to our current of thinking is broadly
overlooked. When I submitted a German translation of my
paper on Goethe and Hegel to a journal in Berlin, I found
such hostility to the place I gave Herder, that I had to
remove him in order to get published. It was good to see
that Stanford Encyclopedia entry gave him his due.

Here is his archive on maxists.org:
https://www.marxists.org/archive/herder/index.htm

and his FaceBook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Johann-Gottfried-Herder-278589731820/

Vygotsky people would perhaps be interested to know that the
very first appearance of the idea of "unit of analysis" in
the Vygotskyan sense, we owe to Herder. He called it
/Schwerpunkt/, which is usually translated as "centre of
gravity," but I think that in the social context, it is best
translated as "strong point."

Andy

Andy Blunden
http://home.mira.net/~andy