[Xmca-l] Re: The Semiotic Stance.pdf

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 06:41:39 PDT 2016

And I thought this (from Kockelman's Semiotic Stance) was a nice summary of
the trouble with Saussure (and similar semiotic systems):

"Indeed, the typical focus on sign-object relations (or ‘signifiers’ and
‘signifieds’), at the expense of sign-interpretant relations, and this
concomitant understanding of objects as ‘objective’ and interpretants as
‘subjective’ — and hence the assimilation of meaning to mind, rather than
grounding mind in meaning— is one of the most fatal flaws of twentieth
century semiotics." (p. 239-240).

Perhaps CHAT took an altogether different tack - looking at
interpretant-object relations?

But maybe I'm speaking out of turn?

-greg