[Xmca-l] Re: Collective moments and perezhivanie - the Bowie phenomenon

Susan Davis s.davis@cqu.edu.au
Thu Jan 14 13:59:16 PST 2016

Thanks Beth, Annalisa, Michael and Andy for your reflections,

The news about another celebrity death this morning with Alan Rickman has
also been met with a flood of social media response.  Is this just mass
hysteria, people with empty lives searching for meaning in the lives of
others, or is it perezhivanie?
Looking through the types of post related to both what seems to be clear
is that while people respected Rickman and admired his work, many more
identified with something about Bowie and his work and the experiences are
much more like perezhivanie.

What I¹m thinking is that some of these events or moments perhaps are more
significant and perhaps could be called instances of cultural
perezhivanie? (and I must apologise here as while I have been following
the thread about moments and instances I am not sure I can reflect the
nuanced understandings in these comments).  What makes it perezhivanie is
that people are indeed Œliving through¹ an experience that is both
emotional and intellectual, there are notions of Badiou¹s event (from my
very brief reading Andy) with the recognition of ruptures revealed and the
potential for transformation.  The life and death of Bowie have confirmed
the experience of personal transformation for many ­ through providing a
vision of alternatives for sexuality, living and also of dying. He was
able to provide the pivots for the imagined to be made manifest, and the
prompt for examination and reinterpretation. I am sure people don¹t¹
necessarily agree with everything he did or may have believed (and dabbled
with Annalisa) but there are identities, roles, images, songs, film clips
that they identify with.

As people have identified, this example is not unique. The outpourings of
public grief were similar for Princess Diana, Michael Jackson and others.
In terms of the wider cultural landscape I reflect on what else has
assumed such cultural significance across the social media zeitgeist in
recent years - perhaps the Obama inauguration, the twin towers coming down
(however that was before the widespread use of social media and would very
much signal a  vision of negative transformation, but may well qualify as
the most significant Œcultural perezhivanie¹ of our generation.)

These kinds of events or moments (and even those in relation to celebrity
deaths) are not confined to our era and their communal
experiencing is also not new ­ think for example of seminal moments such
as the end of World War II and with Œcelebrities¹ the death of people like
Lord Byron,Dame Nellie Melba and many others were greeted by huge
outpourings of public grief. However what is different now is the use of
social media and elsewhere which enables people to move out of the
position of witness and it becomes far
more participatory.  This week some people have spent enormous effort
finding images, music, creating memes, changing
their profile pictures to select their favourite Bowie image and so forth.

Is this a good thing? Does it matter? What can we make of it? Perhaps it
is about identifying these experiences of Œcultural perezhivanie¹ and
certain markers within our overlapping social, personal, political,
geographic worlds that are pivots for personal and social
transformationŠ???

Appreciate further reflection...

Cheers
Sue.