[Xmca-l] Re: Collective moments and perezhivanie - the Bowie phenomenon

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Wed Jan 13 20:08:02 PST 2016

Hi Susan,

Interesting to raise this.  I think many consider Michael Jackson's death to be a watershed moment for the Internet.  I believe the Internet actually slowed in the days after his death due to traffic.  It was also a herald for the rise of the flash mob phenomenon - a really interesting relationship between cyberspace and place.  Individuals would gather in public areas, hundreds, brought together through the Internet and would start dancing to Billie Jean, following the dance moves introduced by Jackson.  It was breathtaking.  They were plastered all over Youtube for a while, but were taken down because of copyright infringement on the song.  The Internet giveth, media conglomerates taketh away.

There is probably some stuff written on those few days.  I wonder what would have happened if the Interne had been around when John Lennon died.  Bowie is more esoteric, I wonder if there is anybody today whose death would cause the outpouring of grief similar to Lennon and Jackson.  It would be really interesting to see how an internetworked world would react.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+mglassman=ehe.ohio-state.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Susan Davis
Sent: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:44 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Collective moments and perezhivanie - the Bowie phenomenon

Hi all,

I am very interested in the recent discussion about moments and perhaps how that might connect to current experiences in relation to the news about David Bowie¹s death and possible experiences of individual and collective perezhivanie.

The death of David Bowie has prompted a collective outpouring of grief, and very public and personal recollections and sharing of meaningful moments.  Across social media platforms, in the news and conversations people recall the influence of his life and work, and on
things that made a difference in their own lives.   People are shedding
very real tears, sorry for a life cut short too soon but also perhaps thinking about the person they themselves were, are, could have been or could become. I notice in particular people reflecting on the importance of Bowie¹s life and work for their own sexuality, creativity and courage to explore difference. There is a sense that people are experiencing Œperezhivanie¹, having a very real and very personal experience right now, but they are also revisiting significant moments from their past, sharing with others collectively, pausing to reflect, to construct and reconstruct meaning and in some cases this may translate to new action and experience in lives going forward.

I am intrigued by what is going on with these Œmoments' and times of collective grieving and remembering, of how now opportunities for enormous collective global grief occur, and make a mark on individual lives, on networks and social worlds, and beyond. While there is a sense that these experiences may be fleeting and soon be replaced in people¹s lives by the latest crisis, disaster, gadget or internet sensation, there is also a sense that something significant has happened, we have been connected to something of momentary significance that is global, communal but also deeply personal. This seems like a form of Œperezhivanie¹ to meŠ does anyone have any other thoughts and reflections on this? On experiences of communal perezhivanie and how this is being further enabled through social media?

Is this something anyone is currently researching or is this a potential new area for investigation?

Kind regards

Sue

Dr Susan Davis
Senior Lecturer | School of Education & the Arts/Higher Education Division CQUniversity Noosa, PO Box 1128, Noosaville Qld 4566 P +61 (0)7 5440 7007 | M +61 (0)418 763 428 | E s.davis@cqu.edu.au