[Xmca-l] Re: Groundings that make life worlds MORE real

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 17:02:24 PST 2016

Greg,
This question, Where is the oikos realm today? This Is the question I was engaging.
I have  attached your article so others may explore the complexity of stance ownership.

The simplistic understanding that if the subject takes a stance, that that  stance move in itself implies the subject then owns the stance. In other words to intentionally act [act on purpose] in itself generates ownership of that stance taken.
This locates stance ownership as being generated from within the individual person's purposeful acts.

Your article indicating that this is a very simplistic understanding of stance ownership and your analysis proposing there are  actually three interrelated movements [stances] involved.
The intersubjective mode
The embodied iconic mode
The interobjective mode.

This is an expanded or enlarged triangulated depiction that develops a more complex figuration of stance ownership.

 What I am referring to as the vitality of the oikos realm may atrophy when market and  state and empire forces of dis-placement actually   dis-possess persons from the places which generate experiencing the vitality of the oikos realm.

I am suggesting this realm of vitality recedes from awareness when neo-liberal market and state and empire forces dominate public discourse and activity
I am not indicating the oikos realm as a utopia. I recognize the oikos realm can have a shadow side and  be oppressive, patriarchal and deadening.

However, the 3 modes of stance ownership indicated in your article may play out differently within inhabited places which express the quality of mutuality – mutuality for itself as a way of flourishing.
This contrasts with the notion of nature as bare existence where survival needs are dominant, or nature as market forces determined by rational economic calculations.

I am proposing a notion of human desire for mutuality itself. The yearning and longing for intersubjective, embodied, interobjective movements of stance ownership generated within inhabited places of mutuality.
Greg, these  places may exist in our historical epoch more as expressions of yearning and desire but I am suggesting they may actually be vital for human flourishing.

Your article invites us to go beyond notions of stance ownership as existing within purposeful individual stance moves.
To consider the complexity of 3 modes of stance that extend beyond individual stance acts.
I am suggesting that the various arenas [such as state, market, empire] may be dis-possessing us of the oikos realm leaving us with neo-liberal forms of stance ownership where our stances become instrumental and calculated.

If I can give one example to make my case. This example comes from Ian Angus at SFU.

In Scotland, the English empire invaded the Scottish highlands and cleared the land of the inhabitants and their way of life. This is known as the *clearances* The land was fenced and populated with sheep.
I am suggesting the *clearances* destroyed the indigenous  oikos realm where the stance taking of inter-subjectivity, embodied iconicity, and interobjectivity had existed and had  been evaluated through a shared sense of mutuality or shared being-in-the-world. Binswanger enlarged Heidegger’s notion of being-in-the world to include 3 realms. Umwelt [cultural historical and material environment]  Mitwelt [intersubjective realm of mutuality] Eigenwelt [private interior realm].

I am suggesting that with the expansion of market state and empire that there is a general clearing away of the oikos realm that leads to tragic consequences. This is the message of Greek tragedy. A sense of being-in-the-world as being home becomes unheimlich [uncanny] and we are left yearning and longing for that place of mutuality as a particular kind of stance ownership.
larry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10