[Xmca-l] Re: Groundings that make life worlds MORE real

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 13:03:39 PST 2016

Larry,
Thanks for the engagement here.
First off, I remain ambivalent about the idea of "more" real. On the one
hand, I think it gives some flexibility to a concept ("the real") that can
be overly simplistic - either it is real or it is imagined (as if
imagination isn't real!).

On the other hand, I think that it could easily slide into a way of seeing
social worlds as "less real" than material worlds. (I would prefer to avoid
that dualism but it seems that a building has a qualitatively different
nature than does a sewing circle. But I'd like to think about that some
more before being so bold).

Off the top of my head, I'm wondering if a better way of thinking this
might be "finished" or, perhaps, "finalized" (as in Bakhtin's notion of
"finalizability"). Thus, just as a building can be not yet "finalized", so
too can a social group or a social act. An unfinalized real. Perhaps.

Yes, I think the hearth as interobjective binding of oikos makes perfect
sense to me. But I wonder, where is the hearth today. Despite all the
laments about the television in the 50's and 60's (or the radio prior to
that), it at least had a hearth like quality to it. Family members would
gather round it and watch their favorite show (but yes, notice that as
compared to a campfire, tv's didn't put people face to face). Today, each
family member has their own screen and they might sit in the same room
while watching their screen, but the oikos-tic interobjectivity is rather
limited.

Just my thoughts here. Thanks again for allowing my inscriptional object to
pull us together...

Best,
greg

--