[Xmca-l] Re: Request for advice

Hans Lambrecht halammm@gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:35:36 PST 2016

Dear Helena,

I have been reading your question and the thread that evolved over the past
days with great interest. Developing 'outstanding universities at
international level' is one of the goals in the Education Development
Strategic Plan 2011-2020 and is echoed in the Fundamental and Comprehensive
Education Sector Reform launched by the Vietnamese communist party at the
end of 2013. It is all about prestige. So it is clear why the goal is being
pursued, but it remains questionable how relevant and desirable it is.

In my opinion, becoming a top 100 university in Vietnam will not so much
rely on teaching but probably more on the research that will be conducted.
A paper published by Harvard Kennedy School in 2008 showed that Vietnamese
universities hardly produced any publications in international
peer-reviewed journals. Of course, language is also an important issue in
this matter but not the only one. Check at your own university how many
staff is actually involved in research. Evidence-based thinking did not
gain much ground yet in the country, so the value attached to sound &
rigorous research is limited. If efforts to become more renowned at
international level result in a more vibrant research culture, it is maybe
a good thing.

As some in this thread argued, being proficient in the own language first
and getting a proper grasp of abstracts concepts first could lead the lead
to better proficiency in an another language later on. And this is also a
big issue in Vietnam, be it not related to English and higher education. I
am on behalf of a bilateral donor involved in policy dialogues with
Ministry of Education and Training in Hanoi and the discussion around
instructional language is purely a political one, but reduced and presented
as a technical one. Based on the expressed concern to be inclusive,
Government does efforts to teach language minority children (around 10% of
the population, +/- 1 million children) Vietnamese as soon as possible in
order to safeguard their education opportunities which are only offered in
Vietnamese. The assimilation to the majority Kinh culture occurs along the
way. Minority languages are just seen (and taught) as cultural artifacts
(not in the AT sense; better call it relics) and not as a living language.
Efforts made by many development partners to encourage bi-lingual teaching
as part of preserving ethnic minority cultures have mostly been
unsuccessful.

Just some thoughts; I am aware this might not help a lot for your
presentation.

Best wishes,
Hans Lambrecht