[Xmca-l] Re: Request for advice

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 18:10:23 PST 2016

Helena, Andy:

Halliday remarks that we all have to learn scientific concepts in another
language, even monolinguals. So for example in everyday language we talk
about how much our children have grown, and if we want to speak
metaphorically, the metaphors are pretty concrete. I remember my mother in
law referring to my growing niece as a bamboo shoot, by which she meant to
indicate simultaneously her narrow girth as well as her growth rate. But
the whole idea of growith as a classifiable, modifiable, qualifiable
thing--much less expressions like "an increase in the fracture growth rate
which is direclty proportional to the force exerted on the material"--would
have been a foreign concept to my niece, even expressed in her own
language, Chinese, and that well into her middle school education.

I think we all feel that the language of Shakespeare is slightly foreign,
and most of us need a translator for Chaucer; all of us do for Beowulf. The
reason isn't just the foreign vocabulary; even with Chaucer, the vocabulary
is not that foreign, and when you get used to the spellings, it's a little
like hearing somebody speak Australian rather than hearing somebody speak a
foreign language (sorry, Andy--foreigness has to start somewhere!). s
foreign to my niece. It isn't even the strange wordings beginning with
"y-". It's to do with the different ways of construing meanings--some of
which (e.g. Clinton's "grow our economy") are only a few decades old.

So Halliday makes the key point, in an address to African educational
linguists, that choosing a language for higher instruction is really a
matter of choosing between foreign languages. Of course, other things being
equal, your own language is best, and in an abstract sense other things are
equal, because, as Halliday puts it, every single language is the best
language on earth from the standpoint of its user. But concretely other
things are NOT equal. When we translate Vygotsky into Korean, we sometimes
end up using KOREAN expressions that don't make sense to Koreans until we
translate them into English.

So the NEXT best thing to your own language is one from your area. The
example Halliday gives is that Swahili is related to Kikuyu and unrelated
to Luo, but nevertheless even Luo speakers will find it much easier to
learn to read and write in Swahili than in English, simply because
the linguistic functions of Kikuyu and Swahili evolved in an environment
that is similar to that of Luo and dissimilar to that of English.

The obvious choice for Vietnamese education? Chinese, of course. Chinese is
an excellent language for scientific discourse, and far more teachable to
children than English. So for example in English very few fish end in the
word "fish", and very very few vegetables end with the word "vegetable"--in
Chinese, the name of every fish says "fish" (yu) and the name of every
vegetable says "vegetable" or "melon", so the child is handed a
hierarchical system of concepts on a plate. The principle is exactly the
same when the time comes for the child to learn about gases and subatomic
particles and machines.

But suppose, for whatever reason, Vietnamese don't WANT to learn Chinese?
Suppose they just, out of sheer historical perversity, wish to learn the
language of their penultimate invaders (that is, English) rather than that
of  their most recent ones? I am not really so sure it's perversity. I have
certainly benefited from learning Chinese and Korean. Of course, the
benefits were at first immediate, tangible, and highly material: they often
had to do with getting food and finding a toilet. But yesterday I found
myself analyzing some data for an eleven month old child using the
prosodics of Chinese syllables--and reflecting how impossible this would be
to analyze using the kind of "distinctive features" analysis worked out for
Western languages, whose phonological descriptions are obsessed with vowels
and consonants (vowels and consonants which are entirely unnecessary for
describing Chinese lexis, just as tones are largely unnecessary for
describing English words).

None of which really answers Helena's question. When my wife began teaching
"Everyday Conversation in English" at a Chinese university, the class size
was around four hundred (and some of the students were older than she
was). She asked about method, and they handed her a bullhorn. I don't know
if there really is any other "method" for teaching English speech to
classes that size. But I guess I would say that if you have to do it, you
might start by changing the name of the class from "Everyday Conversation
in English" to "Scientific Concepts in English and Chinese".

(And now you can hook ME offstage, Helena!)

David Kellogg
Macquarie University