[Xmca-l] Re: A supplement to David's reflection on Translatability

Charles Bazerman bazerman@education.ucsb.edu
Sat Jan 2 14:28:43 PST 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: Lplarry <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Date: Saturday, January 2, 2016 1:43 pm

> Meaning elaboration and effectiveness for particular audiences are the
> reigning criteria.
> Is there a source that focuses in on this difference in approach to
> the same social facts

The general approach is that I elaborate in my two recent books A Rhetoric of Literate Action and A Theory of Literate Action, downloadable at the WAC Clearinghouse (WAC.colostate.edu/books).  I do have some comments on linguistics and language studies in both books, but especially chapter 8 of the Theory.

> Does linguistic anthropology as a discipline have a different
> understanding of meaning.
I leave this for the linguistic anthropologists to elaborate, but I would point out that the approach I take is centered on participation rather than analytical removal.

Chuck