[Xmca-l] Re: A supplement to David's reflection on Translatability

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 13:39:19 PST 2016

Charles,
Thanks for this answer which is a clear answer to next steps.
The awareness that the social facts of expectations of language may be the same or similar for writers as for linguistic anthropologists but the stance towards and meanings given to these social facts are different  opens a new horizon.
Meaning elaboration and effectiveness for particular audiences are the reigning criteria.
Is there a source that focuses in on this difference in approach to the same social facts
Does linguistic anthropology as a discipline have a different understanding of meaning.
The metaphor of social facts as a prism through which is revealed  or illuminated a spectrum of meanings is an image that comes to mind.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Charles Bazerman" <bazerman@education.ucsb.edu>
Sent: ‎2016-‎01-‎02 1:11 PM
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: A supplement to David's reflection on Translatability

Production oriented fields such as composition, rhetoric, and writing take as the starting place the meanings that language users are bringing into being.  Then normative expectations and typifications are seen only as facilitating (or constricting) meanings and responses the writer is trying to realize and elicit in readers. Depending on the social context and purpose various sets of expectations may hold sway, and violations evoke different kinds of judgment and consequences.Yet each of the sets of expectations have expressive potentials which went into the forming of these various communicative and activity systems. If one's meanings can be adequately formed for one's audience within these constraints, the expectations can work for you.

Nonetheless, violations, transgressions, expansions, hybridization, novelty, even attempts to transform the vision and practices of the activity system all have risks and potential costs but they are certainly within the available repertoire and are not a priori ruled out of bounds. But usually they involve forethought and often extra work to be made intelligible and effective.

For people interested in writing production, the social facts of expectations of language may be the same or similar to those noted by linguists and linguistic anthropologists, but the stance towards them and the meaning attributed to them are different. Meaning elaboration and effectiveness for particular audiences are the reigning criteria.

Chuck