[Xmca-l] Re: A supplement to David's reflection on Translatability

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Fri Jan 1 19:04:53 PST 2016

It's a little disappointing that they oppressed their own conversation at the following point, no?

Martin

MS [Michael Silverstein]:  I say to my students all the time: 'now that I've revealed to you the entire massive machinery of socio-linguistic oppression, of stratification around the standard and so on, that will not stop me from correcting your papers because my institution is at the highest pinnacle of what you might call the oppressive regime'.

JB [Jan Blommaert]: Absolutely. And at the same time - maybe this could be a useful conclusion of this conversation - at the same time it proves also that there is no absence of norms, there is no shortage of norms even in a sociocultural organization of language. Normativity is everywhere.