[Xmca-l] Re: "Visions of Johanna" as Verbal Art

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 22:15:50 PST 2016

Since I posted on the Festschrift for Ruqaiya and Mike replied there has
been no discussion on verbal art or "Visions of Johanna" on the list. True,
I have received several posts off list to the effect that my critique of
the Dylan song was philistine and motivated by Marxism. So...well, dear
reader, to make a short story long...I went and listened to the song for
the first time (yes, Henry, red-faced, I do confess it; I wrote without
ever having heard the tune, having simply read the lyrics as verbal art).

Now that I HAVE heard the song, I find that the music strongly confirms my
reading of the lyrics. The original "Blonde on Blonde" version, with
Dylan's characteristic auctioneer howl in lieu of tonic stresses, defiantly
draws attention to the inability of the singer to carry a tune. This does,
in fact, resonate with the symbolic articulation, the self-disgust, the
coyness of referring to the singer in the second person ("When you are
trying to be quiet") in the third person ("the boy in the hall") and even
in the first person (in the lines about Johanna), and the meanness of the
demeaning language about poor Louise. The 1990s version, if anything, is
even more self-loathing and misogynistic in its alternatingly grouchy and
smirky delivery.

So far we have verbalization, and even symbolic articulation, but no clear
theme, and the drug-inspired imagery of the last stanza, which one of the
posts I received points out that I omitted, certainly does not help any
clear theme emerge. Ruqaiya Hasan points out that this existence of a
verbalization and a symbolic articulation is a characteristic of "literary
text" as opposed to "literature text": for example, the speeches of Burke,
the letters of (Samuel) Johnson, and the pamphlets of Defoe, as opposed to
the plays of Shakespeare, the novels of Richardson, or "Robinson Crusoe".

It's not just a matter of fiction vs. non-fiction, since Shakespeare's
histories are not strictly fiction (nor are the speeches of Burke strictly
non-fiction). It's that with literature text, but not with literary texts,
you "free up" the wording, and hence the symbolic articulation, which makes
it possible to renegotiate Saussure's "unwritten contract" to realize
meaning X by wording Y. Hence you can create entirely imaginary meanings,
and renegotiate Rousseau's unwritten contract, by creating imaginary
contexts instead of canonically realizing extant ones.

That's why I think that a biographical reading is not much good in the case
of true literary texts. True literature texts contain imaginary characters,
and the themes of the literary text emerge despite the speakers' best
intentions and against their stated wills.If this happens with Burke's
speeches, or Johnson's letters, or Defoe's pamphlets we attribute it to
their ineptness and not to their genius (or, charitably, to divine
inspiration, demonic possession, or mind-altering substances).

But "Visions of Johanna" is probably not a literature text at all but
rather what Ruqaiya would have called "literary text", so perhaps some
biographical reading is relevant after all. Joan Baez believes that Dylan
is contrasting the seedy self-indulgence of his honeymoon with his first
wife in the Chelsea Hotel with the life of political commitment that
Joan/Johanna had shared with him. Hence her reply to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6NqoaW2fzY

And in this we see what Ruqaiya Hasan defiantly called "the
social-therapeutic function of verbal art".

David Kellogg
Macquarie University