[Xmca-l] Re: "Mediation" as Error Correction

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:24:41 PST 2016

I don't think error correction or even "making a student say 'This is a
book' is always "direct" or "immediate", quite the contrary. Most of the DA
sources I am referring to (yes, I am thinking of Lantolf and Poehner)
distinguish between the highly indirect and the direct. We can lay out a
kind of cline.

HIGHLY INDIRECT
a) What did you say?
b) Did you say a book?
c) A book?
d) A book.
e) You mean a book.
f) No, you have to say "a book".
HIGHLY DIRECT

There are various ways of discussing this cline in the literature, e.g.
"implicit" to "explicit" correction (Long and Doughty), or
"interventionist" vs. "non-interventionist" (Lantolf and Poehner), or
"recasts" vs. "prompts" (Ellis and others), "other repair" vs. "self
repair" (the Conversation Analysts). I don't agree that direct intervention
is bad, and indirect intervention good. Since the work of Lyster and Ranta,
we have become acutely conscious that most teacher intervention is highly
indirect and thus highly ineffective.

The real thing that needs to be "mediated" is this:

g) Every singular noun must have a determiner in English.

Now, I think grasping this (is it implicit? Is it explicit?) is mediation
only in the following sense: in order to be able to use it, you need to
understand concepts like "noun", "singular", and "determiner". These are
all academic concepts and not everyday concepts and they cannot be directly
taught (c.f. Chapter Six of Thinking and Speech). I think that all error
correction, direct and indirect, is a way of indirectly teaching it.

Perhaps the two "forces of nature" that are being played against each other
are the eidetic memory, which is concrete and based on everyday experience,
and forgetting, which produces an involuntary form of abstraction. Neither
force can overcome the other, but a learner can use a voluntary form of
abstraction to overcome both.

I think the problem with the way "mediation" is interpreted as the
learner's "internalization" of the correction is simply this: it falls prey
to what Chaiklin calls the "assistance" assumption: the idea that the site
of development, and not simply the source, is the environment nad not the
learner. The environment (the correct form) is indeed the source of
development (and I do think grasping the English article system does
represent a form of real development, and certainly academic concepts do).
But the learner and only the learner is the site.

David Kellogg
Macquarie University