[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: FW: Syllabus on sociocultural theories: grad seminar

Lakshmi Bandlamudi banvenlak@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 11:42:52 PDT 2016

Hello,
Although I have not contributed to the discussions, I follow them quite diligently, and recent discussions prompted me to bring to your attention my recently published book and the details are given below. I thought there might be some Bakhtin enthusiasts in this group.

Difference, Dialogue, and Development is an in-depth exploration of the collected works of Mikhail Bakhtin to find relevance of key concepts of dialogism for understanding various aspects of human development. Taking the reality of differences in the world as a given, Bandlamudi argues that such a reality necessitates dialogue, and actively responding to that necessity leads to development. The varied works of Bakhtin that span several decades passing through the most tumultuous period in Russian history, are brought under one banner of three D’s – Difference, Dialogue and Development – and the composite features of the three D’s emerge as leitmotifs in every chapter.

In an ocean of Bakhtiniana, this is a fresh voice.  Lakshmi Bandlamudi  brings together the disparate works Bakhtin wrote over a long lifetime in a reading that adds ‘Development’ to the usual ‘Ds’(Dialog, Difference) in Bakhtin studies.  In so doing, she adds another dimension to the heteronomy called ‘Bakhtin’. Michael Holquist. Yale University.

Lakshmi Bandlamudi’s Difference, Dialogue, and Development has to rank among the very best, certainly the clearest, most astute expositions of Michail Bakhtin’s writings. Her aim is not simply to explicate the Russian thinker’s wide-ranging, at times seemingly contradictory, essays but to depict his worldview and the ethical implications that derive from his commitment to the ever-shifting dialogical dimensions of human life – to encounters that resist definition, as definition is demanded. Bandlamudi accepts, indeed elaborates, the challenges to the staid visions of the human sciences that Bakhtin poses. As such she challenges those same staid assumptions that govern so much of our lives. Her work is transformative. Vincent Crapanzano. Distinguished Professor of Comparative Literature and Anthropology. Graduate Center, CUNY

Also, here are the chapter headings:

CONTENTS

Preface

 Acknowledgements

 Chapter 1. Introduction: Dialogue = Development

 Chapter 2. The Novel & The Hero: Developmental Narrative & The Developing Subject

 Chapter 3. Creative Living and Aesthetic Vision: Cultivating Finer Sensibilities

 Chapter 4. Carnivalization of Consciousness: A Catalyst for Development

 Chapter 5. Authoring the Self – Answering the Other: Epistemological Necessities and Ethical Obligations

 Chapter 6. Dialogic Method for Human Sciences: Between the Message Giver – Message – Messenger – and Message Receiver

 Chapter 7. Differences as the Will to Power and Freedom to Choose