[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Verizon's greed

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Mon Apr 25 19:19:08 PDT 2016

Larry, Greg, Mike and others,

I don't know the word Ikagai, and I try to be careful with words from other cultures.  I'm having enough trouble with the words in my own culture.  For instance I recently ran across Jenkins idea of participatory culture through some of the work I have been doing on gaming with a student - but I am at a loss because participatory does so much work for Participatory Action Research.  The former talks about active participation as opposed to passive consumerism (am I getting this right Greg) while the latter takes a much more political/economic/cultural perspective of allowing members of a group to participate in the trajectory of their social group as true members.  Then there is the other participatory action research and Levy-Bruhl's participation.  For me it boggles the mind.  How do we keep our ideas straight.

As far as I know there is no word in the English language that seems to capture my minimal understanding of Ikagai, but it is important to then assume it is not there.  I tend to think that reason for being is not so well captured in English because it is a process, in many ways a search.  Reaching back to an older thread maybe re-search is a continuation of our process to understand why we exist (perhaps that sounds a little overblown).  I also think it is dangerous to make a distinction between East and West.  Well of course there are differences between cultures, but I don't think they break down so easily and they are deeply tie to the particular time and social context.   At least in the United States, it is important not to confuse our economic paradigm with our culture (I always fall in to this).  It is true that there has been a focus on the individual, opposing her/him to the collective, but there have been times in the United States even that have been the complete opposite.  Where there was no light between the individual and the collective.  I have recently been doing a lot of reading on the beginnings of the Internet, because sometimes I get obsessed by a topic.  I am astounded by the ways in which individual and collective melded together almost seamlessly for a period of years.  We don't have to discover networked learning, we have to remember it.  I don't know other cultures well enough but I'm not sure this could have happened in many other places.  Perhaps they were working from a sense of Ikagai, a reason for being, I don't know.  It seems like nobody ever really stopped to think about.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 9:27 PM
To: mike cole <mcole@ucsd.edu>; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Verizon's greed

Greg, Mike,
If it is true that the concept  Ikagi is currently being culturally appropriated then why now? is one of the *reasons* because of this fundamental question that Mimi Ito asks:
Why must developing individuality assume [pre-suppose] the need for opposing the individual to collective cultural  forms [configurations]. This is a peculiar Western notion.

This question resonates with  questions of reason [reflection]  as  *external* or *internal* as illustrated with these two differing *pro*-positions. [presuppositions]
1) The actual world is *independent* of our descriptions or knowledge of the world, our values, preferences, and emotional responses to the world, and our attempts to understand or explain the world. This is an *external* sense of relation [of self and world].
2) All knowledge is a set of conventions governed by a central paradigm. Knowledge is derived and *informed* by that paradigm and does not refer to anything other than the paradigm it is *informed* by. This is an internal sense of relation from *within*.
I hear Mimi Ito’s sense which she describes as a Japanese cultural sense  leaning towards *internal* relations which does not posit the collective as external to the self.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10