[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Verizon's greed

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 18:26:57 PDT 2016

Greg, Mike,
If it is true that the concept  Ikagi is currently being culturally appropriated then why now? is one of the *reasons* because of this fundamental question that Mimi Ito asks:
Why must developing individuality assume [pre-suppose] the need for opposing the individual to collective cultural  forms [configurations]. This is a peculiar Western notion.

This question resonates with  questions of reason [reflection]  as  *external* or *internal* as illustrated with these two differing *pro*-positions. [presuppositions]
1) The actual world is *independent* of our descriptions or knowledge of the world, our values, preferences, and emotional responses to the world, and our attempts to understand or explain the world. This is an *external* sense of relation [of self and world].
2) All knowledge is a set of conventions governed by a central paradigm. Knowledge is derived and *informed* by that paradigm and does not refer to anything other than the paradigm it is *informed* by. This is an internal sense of relation from *within*.
I hear Mimi Ito’s sense which she describes as a Japanese cultural sense  leaning towards *internal* relations which does not posit the collective as external to the self.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: mike cole
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 5:18 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Verizon's greed

That *is* a neat Venn diagram, Greg. And I just learned of the word today
for reasons that grow out
of an MCA project involving a hard to define non-English words. The link to
Mimi Ito, connected learning zeitgeists, and passionate affinity groups is
a welcome addition to my education.

mike

PS- Neat looking web page too!!

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object
that creates history. Ernst Boesch